Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vintage BSA bell target for the improver bsa air rifle .. info please

vintage BSA bell target for the improver bsa air rifle .. info please

hi im looking for any info i can get on this vintage bell target made by bsa .. im told its circa 1905 -1910 but i cant be sure ..
    looks unused and in remarkable condition ..the brass bsa guns name tag is in excellent condition and reads
    "SUPPLIED BY
    THE BIRMINGHAM SMALLARMS CO LTD
    SOLE MAKERS OF THE
    IMPROVED B,S,A AIR RIFLE
    the brass/bronze bell itself looks unused .
    the face plate has a stamp reading what i think is WARRENTS AND HARDEND ..
    please search bell target on the airgun fourm.co.uk to see all pictures
    Last edited by cyclonesniper; 11-02-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonesniper View Post
    hi im looking for any info i can get on this vintage bell target made by bsa .. im told its circa 1905 -1910 but i cant be sure ..
    looks unused and in remarkable condition ..the brass bsa guns name tag is in excellent condition and reads
    "SUPPLIED BY
    THE BIRMINGHAM SMALLARMS CO LTD
    SOLE MAKERS OF THE
    IMPROVED B,S,A AIR RIFLE
    the brass/bronze bell itself looks unused .
    the face plate has a stamp reading what i think is WARRENTS AND HARDEND ..
    please search bell target on the airgun fourm.co.uk to see all pictures
    Hi there

Wow, these are rare!

If you look at this brochure at pages 47-49, you can see the BSA range of bell targets.

Edit: I just looked at the pics on the other forum and it's a Metal target no.84 (see page 48 of the brochure).
    Last edited by Garvin; 11-02-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hi there

Wow, these are rare!

If you look at this brochure at pages 47-49, you can see the BSA range of bell targets.
    Having seen a picture of your target on the other website, and thanks to Danny, it is obvious that you have the BSA target number 84 illustrated on page 48.
    An incredible find. Knowing the rivalry among BSA collectors, in that condition with the original BSA brass plate the sky's the limit if it should be offered for sale.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 11-02-2016 at 09:20 PM.

wow thanks so much guys .. so now how do i find out its year of manufacture ???

wow thanks so much guys .. so now how do i find out its year of manufacture ???
    It's interesting that it refers to the "improved BSA rifle". According to John Knibbs, the first "improved models" came with the batch of rifles made between Oct-Dec 1906 and marked "The B.S.A Air Rifle".

In Feb 1907 the improved model B was brought in and in mid-1908 the improved model D, which continued until late 1913. Both had "improved model [x]" markings.

So it could have been made right through that time. On the other hand, it may well have said "Sole makers of the Improved model B (or D) air rifle" if it was made after they came in...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

wow thanks .. ok so we know its def early 1900s .. what year is the bsa catalogue its shown on ??

wow thanks .. ok so we know its def early 1900s .. what year is the bsa catalogue its shown on ??
    I think it's 1909, although I'm not sure it's actually printed on it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

The owner has very kindly supplied some excellent daylight pics of this rare target.

There's hardly any evidence of it having been used!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The owner has very kindly supplied some excellent daylight pics of this rare target.

There's hardly any evidence of it having been used!
    Curious how the name on the brass plate is presented as B,S,A. rather than B.S.A. Not the sort of mistake B.S.A. would normally make but the kind of error you sometimes see on Indian copies of vintage telescopes, microscopes and the like that now flood the market. Not that I am suggesting this a reproduction, as the ageing looks right, and no others have been reported. Probably just a die-setter's mistake that didn't get picked up.

A rare and desirable thing, but it clearly has received considerable use, as can be seen from the target face. The quality of the steel was so good in those days that hardly any 'pock marking' occurred. A good dunk in some rust removing solution would make it look better still, and will leave any original paint intact?
    These are shown in the 1907 'Book of the BSA Air Rifle', at least I think that's the date without checking.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    A rare and desirable thing, but it clearly has received considerable use, as can be seen from the target face. The quality of the steel was so good in those days that hardly any 'pock marking' occurred. A good dunk in some rust removing solution would make it look better still, and will leave any original paint intact?
    These are shown in the 1907 'Book of the BSA Air Rifle', at least I think that's the date without checking.
    Is that use or neglect, Chris? There's only a little sign of the usual pellet pounding around the hole - unless the former owners were rotten shots? Or am I mistaken?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Search my posts Ormicron. Do not know how to copy old mail into this thread, look at BSA target. Works the same but a different shape.

Ormicron

Fantastic! Another one.

I think this one may be the Steel Target no. 83
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Curious how the name on the brass plate is presented as B,S,A. rather than B.S.A. Not the sort of mistake B.S.A. would normally make but the kind of error you sometimes see on Indian copies of vintage telescopes, microscopes and the like that now flood the market. Not that I am suggesting this a reproduction, as the ageing looks right, and no others have been reported. Probably just a die-setter's mistake that didn't get picked up.
    Interesting to see this second BSA target doesn't have that error on the brass name plate, John.

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/Or...et003.jpg.html
    Vintage Airguns Gallery