Thread: Original Model 66 reseal cost

Original Model 66 reseal cost

Evening All

Just been asked to enquire what it would cost to have an original 66 resealed to get it up to scratch for sale

Didn't realise these were not a straight forward springer until I researched them earlier this evening.

This one appears to be all original but has been stood for many a year and suffering from quite a bit of surface rust so would benefit from a re-blue also if it is worth doing at same time and without overspending.

Could anyone give me an idea of the cost of a reseal, and if Colin Malloy is still rebluing ...

Cheers, Keith

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Evening All

Just been asked to enquire what it would cost to have an original 66 resealed to get it up to scratch for sale

Didn't realise these were not a straight forward springer until I researched them earlier this evening.

This one appears to be all original but has been stood for many a year and suffering from quite a bit of surface rust so would benefit from a re-blue also if it is worth doing at same time and without overspending.

Could anyone give me an idea of the cost of a reseal, and if Colin Malloy is still rebluing ...

Cheers, Keith
    Dave (DM80) is very expert at resealing these. I haven't asked for the cost recently but I would imagine it would be £60 or thereabouts. I would be cautious about spending too much on improving its cosmetic condition after it's resealed, because you may struggle to get your money back.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Dave (DM80) is very expert at resealing these. I haven't asked for the cost recently but I would imagine it would be £60 or thereabouts. I would be cautious about spending too much on improving its cosmetic condition after it's resealed, because you may struggle to get your money back.
    Many thanks for the reply Garvin,

The last one I did for our RFD was £90, the cost of the two seals and a set of piston springs was around £60 if I remember correctly. If you can get away with the existing springs you will save about £30. I cleaned off the surface rust with fine steel wool and light oil and it looked great. I think the factory were charging 180 Euros excluding shipping.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Unfortunately with guns like these, the price of a commercial reseal, service and reblue will damn near equal the sale price of the gun

Might be more cost efficient to sell as a project for a DIYer...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

My thougths exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Unfortunately with guns like these, the price of a commercial reseal, service and reblue will damn near equal the sale price of the gun

Might be more cost efficient to sell as a project for a DIYer...
    Cheers Jon, Its the type of project I used to take on and such as many of us probably have done previously, I don't have the time or inclination now so that's the route this one is more than likely destined for, the present owner is looking for a valuation and with it not working, wanting a reseal and some blue really doesn't make it worth much at all in my mind.

You can save a bit on the seals and springs if you buy them from Germany, mainly worth it if you need a collection of bits.

Versandhaus schneider have them. Just received a set for my Diana75.