Thread: Pre-war BSA rifles

Pre-war BSA rifles

If, just if, I decided I needed a pre-war BSA, which would be the model to go for?

I would be looking for a user, not a display rifle. I have no intention of becoming a BSA collector, I don't get time to use my Feinwerkbaus, and I've no space for more, really. Which one might I consider, if I decided I really couldn't do without one, and how much should I pay? What should I look out for? And how do they handle modern 5.5mm ammunition? I'd be after a user, not a display rifle.

Thanks,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    If, just if, I decided I needed a pre-war BSA, which would be the model to go for?

I would be looking for a user, not a display rifle. I have no intention of becoming a BSA collector, I don't get time to use my Feinwerkbaus, and I've no space for more, really. Which one might I consider, if I decided I really couldn't do without one, and how much should I pay? What should I look out for? And how do they handle modern 5.5mm ammunition? I'd be after a user, not a display rifle.

Thanks,

Matt
    Matt if you could find one, I'd suggest a full length 1920s CS model, which is .177 and 45.5 inches long. They are possibly the best of the prewar BSAs for outdoor shooting because of the flatter trajectory over distance. If you're looking at shorter target ranges, pretty much any of the vintage BSAs would be suitable, Light and Standard patterns. Pre-WW1 rifles are more sought after, less frequently encountered - especially in good condition, and more expensive. But from a collector's point of view, more desirable. Price ranges between about £120 for good working models up to £400 plus for rarer/excellent condition examples, depending on the exact model and condition.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks,

Matt
    With No2 bore youve really narrowed it to two rifles, an "improved model d", or a first pattern standard, same thing really! which would be my choice, or an "S" or "T" prefix standard, ive known really nice ones go for a good bit more that Garvin suggests but as a user to take out in inclement weather you wouldnt want one of those expensive ones, anything rarer than that and your talking big money.
    Eric

I picked up my first vintage BSA mid last year, and it was a very usable CS model. Cost £170/180ish.
    As said, better as its a 177, pretty accurate with modern jsb exact pellets.
    Thanks - Geoff.

no.2 bore ammo

hello Matt,you should have no problem with modern pellets.i have used superdomes,hobby and the cheap milbro select.the latter though stated as 5.5 are actually a good fit and my rifle shoots quietly and accurately with them. atb

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    I picked up my first vintage BSA mid last year, and it was a very usable CS model. Cost £170/180ish.
    As said, better as its a 177, pretty accurate with modern jsb exact pellets.
    I have seen this chap shoot and he is getting a little too good with that CS!

I use one too for competitions in favour of other models on the basis the flat trajectory provides both power at distance, a flat trajectory and accuracy. It's a little too good really, as it means I rarely use my other BSAs in competition these days.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thanks John!
    Ps, I finally got a replacement foresight for the CS, think your going to have to give me a very strong talking to, to stop me swapping that aperture sight over..... ;-)
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Thanks John!
    Ps, I finally got a replacement foresight for the CS, think your going to have to give me a very strong talking to, to stop me swapping that aperture sight over..... ;-)
    Hmmm, I see where you're coming from. Bearing in mind it is the wrong aperture sight on the Light anyway...

Maybe have a chat at the club if you're shooting tomorrow?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I will continue to tease myself a little longer.

The desire has not gone away. What would be the advantage of a 1920s CS over an Improved Model D? I have no preference for either calibre.

Matt

The CS will be a 177, thus can use it for bell target comps etc. The pellet may fly a bit flatter as well, which is an advantage with iron sights.

While I love my CS. I'm now looking for a standard in 22, got to have one of each really!
    Thanks - Geoff.

The desire has not gone away. What would be the advantage of a 1920s CS over an Improved Model D? I have no preference for either calibre.

Matt
    Longer cylinder = flatter trajectory on the CS. To be honest, virtually any complete and well cared for BSA will outshoot its owner using the standard open or peep sights and I would suggest considering the first model you are offered, which falls into your chosen price bracket. Best to shoot it first to ensure you get on with it, if possible.

John

Ah ha, thanks.

Shooting it first - good advice - is not really an option, as I live out in the wilds of central Europe. However, on the subject of bell target, a friend and I have toyed with the idea of introducing it to the Czech Republic. Just about everyone has an old Slavia rifle in the garage or at their cottage, and I can see the Czechs enjoying it. My mate has a beer stall on some land by the river, and we were thinking of rigging up a bell target there.

Matt