Thread: Crosman 2240 or 2250

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Crosman 2240 or 2250

I've seen mixed posts on this, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer
    I've got a stock Crosman 2240 and was tempted to dabble in modifications given the huge range of custom parts available but wouldn't want to create an illegal weapon which (I'd assume) is a real possibility as the stock 2240 in .22 must be close to 6ftlbs out if the box ?

Is it safer to use a 2250 (classified as a rifle) or is it the presence of the stock that makes a pistol into a rifle ? Is a 2250 with grips a pistol ?

What makes a pistol a pistol ? I can't find a decent definition. Surely it's about the overall length of the weapon ? Confused
    Last edited by David22; 20-02-2016 at 07:41 PM.

good question will be interesting to read whats put

There have been many posts in the past asking the same question and, as you say, I don't think I've ever seen a cast-iron, definitive answer.

Some say that, if it started life as a pistol, it will always remain so in the eyes of the law, no matter the extent of modifications.

However, others would say that, as long as the stock is not quickly detachable (again, maybe a little ambiguous) and if the barrel is longer than 12", then it will come under air rifle rules.

THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Don't put pistol grips on a 2250.
    That makes it into a prohibited weapon as its over 6ftlbs.

The 2240 can be made better by adding parts from eg GMAC.
    These are unlikely to put it over the pistol limit but you will need a chrono to check it.

The 2240 makes 5+ on a warm day. So don't mess with the valves, hammer spring, port, barrel length etc unless you know what you are doing and are really careful.

Good "mods" for the 2240 are everything else: steel breeches, new grips, trigger enhancements, sights, muzzle brakes, suppressors, etc.

If you want to play with the internals of a CO2 gun, go for a stock 2250 (9ish ft/lbs) but still be careful.

PS - a 2250 with pistol grips and running at 6.0000001 ft/lbs is probably a pistol in the eyes of the law. And thus a Bad Idea. So is a 6.000001 ft/lbs 2240 with a stock on it. None of statute , or case law, or official guidance is 100% clear. Best advice is don't be the test case.