Thread: Rogers and Spencer .44

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The Rogers & Spencer Percussion Revolver was originally manufactured in Willowvale, NY about 1863-65. In January 1865, the United States government contracted with Rogers & Spencer for 5,800 of the solid frame pistols. Delivery on the contract was made too late for war service, and the entire lot was sold as scrap to Francis Bannerman and Son in 1901. Bannerman then sold the pistols throughout the first quarter of the 20th Century. Many original Rogers & Spencer revolvers are seen today in excellent, near mint condition.

The Rogers and Spencer Army Model Revolver was actually an improvement of earlier pistols produced by the firm - the Pettingill and Freeman revolvers. The Pettingills were produced in the late 1850's and early 1860's, and were double action revolvers. The Pettingills were ahead of their time, being designed as hammerless pistols, which were popular in the last decade of the 19th Century, but certainly too avant garde for Army purchasers. The Navy Model was a .34 caliber, of which less than 1,000 were produced. The Army Model was a .44 caliber, and only about 3,400 were produced in the early 1860's. The Freeman Army Model Revolver was a solid frame .44 caliber pistol with a round 7 1/2" barrel, of which 2,000 are believed to have been produced in 1863-64, and in appearance the Freeman resembles a Starr Revolver.

The Rogers & Spencer is an improved Freeman, with a less severe grip style, a heavier frame and a stronger octagon barrel of identical 7 1/2" length. Interestingly, the Rogers & Spencer design is eligible for N-SSA competitions because the contract was consummated before the end of hostilities.

Now you know as much as me.

tac
    I doubt that Mr Tac of knowledge. Respect.

Anyway I saw my first real one on Sunday at the Shooting Show, Bonhams auction stand. I was going to ask them to let me handle it then decided they would probably take great enjoyment in telling me no.

Quote Originally Posted by CLINT3 View Post
    I doubt that Mr Tac of knowledge. Respect.

Anyway I saw my first real one on Sunday at the Shooting Show, Bonhams auction stand. I was going to ask them to let me handle it then decided they would probably take great enjoyment in telling me no.
    Yup, the real deal, and not a lot more than a top-of-the-line Hege version either. Which would YOU have bought?

tac