Thread: What will stick delrin (buttons)?

sitsinhedges Guest

What will stick delrin (buttons)?

I want to stick some 6mm diameter delrin buttons into 3 shallow cavities on my hw95 piston. I want to avoid getting special and expensive adhesives for the tiny amount that I would use. I have superglue and loctites 603/648/641. Would like some advice on wether these would work or a cheap and easy alternative.

Thanks
    Andy

Hi there,

I believe that you just need to use a good quality super glue, not that cheep stuff where you get ten tubes for a pound!!

Done quote me on that mind you but I'm sure someone will be along soon with a definate answer for you.

Johnj.

sitsinhedges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Hi there,

I believe that you just need to use a good quality super glue, not that cheep stuff where you get ten tubes for a pound!!

Done quote me on that mind you but I'm sure someone will be along soon with a definate answer for you.

Johnj.
    Damn! and I was hoping to use one of my 10 tubes

I did not think they had developed a glue that will work on delrin yet.

I dont know how much force it has to withstand, but I managed to hold steel washers into delrin caps using locktite thread lock - worked well, but the bond didn't have to stand up to massive forces.

HTH
    Westy

sitsinhedges Guest
    I understood that a special primer was required to help it bond to the surface of the delrin but I am sure I read that roughing up the surface to provide a key could also work. Not sure about these loctites either, they sure do to bond metals together, but plastic?
    Just needed a second opinion on it before I go ahead and try.

Well, to help a little further, there are different types of delrin, some is self lubricating and will be particularly difficult to get things stuck to.

Locktites - and there are many with differing properties, are the real super glues, some are stronger - read more permanent - than others - I think the stuff I used was 598 but Im not definately sure.

Cheers
    Westy

I'm not exactly sure what Macarri makes his buttons from, but you use superglue on them, after cleaning with some meths, spirit or similar.

You do need a primer to pre-treat the plastic I got the kit I used from

http://www.fivestardistribution.com/

What I did.

Regards Ora

sitsinhedges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ora8i View Post
    You do need a primer to pre-treat the plastic I got the kit I used from

http://www.fivestardistribution.com/

What I did.

Regards Ora
    Damn, I saw that company selling glues at a woodworking show a few weeks back and just bought a couple of empty bottles off them Never mind I just cleaned the holes with thinners and fitted the tight buttons with super glue and I don't think they'll go far once inside the tube (they took being turned down on a lathe without complaint).

ATB
    Andy