Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there no end to Predom Lucznik army surplus pistols?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    In US we have pistol qualifications with 22 pistol that use mostly two handed grip. There are 4 levels of qualification. Only the third level is one handed. International competitions are all one handed. In some ways it seems funny really. Isn't the object to hit the target and I was given two hands?
    Using both hands produces a more stable hold and is better for less able shooters, particularly where speed is required and target shooting accuracy is not, which is why it is taught to military and police, but for a precision shot (not the domain of military and police!) it brings the shooter too close to the sights and results in an imprecise sight picture. For precision, a perfect sight picture is preferential to a more stable hold, any good level target shooter can shoot far tighter groups one handed with a decent stance and the pistol held at full arms length.

With the pony club which shoots air pistol as part of pentathlon, children under a certain age (I think 12) are permitted to use both hands, yet in coaching them we discovered that even though they may struggle with the pistol weight they produced far better results shooting in a target stance with one hand!

The LP53 was intended as a centre fire trainer not a .22 trainer, which I presume is why Predom built and suplied it for the Polish army, my LP53 bought new in 1973 was purchased to practice centre fire, and it had more recoil than the TOZ 36 I was training for!

If your technique is good the LP53 is very accurate indeed, if its not the recoil will punish you.

I think at one time the Walther factory had a licence deal with Predom, I thought to build police pistols, but I suspect there may have been some liason with the LP53 copy but I don't know any detail, but I'll try and find out.

Have Fun
    Best regards
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Interesting ..... Where could I get hold of one?

Good post Robin, I actually have never tried a one handed grip. Never too late!

Robin
    "The LP53 was intended as a centre fire trainer not a .22 trainer, which I presume is why Predom built and suplied it for the Polish army, my LP53 bought new in 1973 was purchased to practice centre fire, and it had more recoil than the TOZ 36 I was training for! "

Actually the original advertisements for the LP53, call it a target pistol modeled after the 1936 Olypmia, which was 22 rim fire. They claim the LP53 is cheaper to practice.
    Last edited by 45flint; 03-03-2016 at 09:51 PM.

The LP53 is a bit grip fussy but can certainly produce great results however comparing this or the Predom to the LP2 is like comparing a pushbike to a motorbike, the LP2 or LP3 was designed as a competition target piston, is an SSP design so therefore recoilless, they are completely different pistols altogether, I have both an LP53 and an LP3 and whilst the LP3 is a great match pistol for its era I prefer the more challenging LP53 for a bit of classic shooting, getting a nice clover leaf group with the 53 is far more rewarding that doing the same with either the lp3 or my Steyr's. The LP53 was never designed or intended as a match pistol but more a trainer/ informal target gun and for its intended purpose it's a superb piece of kit.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I do have a Predom going spare if anyone is desperate!

Steve.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Predom

Just had an email back from my contact at Walther who has a strong involvement with their museum and history, he says there was never any licence or even involvement between Walther and Predom, the Predom was just a plain copy, Eastern bloc so not worth the hassle of them taking action.

After the early LP53's the trigger adjustment was taken off, and the trigger weight was set at the centrefire match weight.

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

preedom

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting thought but I doubt that the one I got is a Chinese copy. For one these are Polish surplus trainers. Mine came and it was no doubt used but not that much. But the internals definitely had the look of grease and lubricant that was totally dried out. I cleaned everything no way was this a new gun. I soaked the leather seal in 30W nondetergent oil for a while and it was fine. Not worn out but lubricant dried out. Mine has serial numbers on barrel along with date 1975. I think in comparing to the LP53, they may have varied in finish quality over the years. But my mint 1955 LP is a much better pistol. I can give you the steel blued barrel argument but the sights, trigger, and fit and finish don't compare with my LP53. Still have to do more shooting with Predom, only have had 10 pellets through it.
    I agree entirely nowhere is a Preedom the quality of a LP53.

Sighted in my Predom this morning in my living room at 15 ft? Snowing outside. It actually is a very accurate pistol was getting pretty small groupings. I need to work on the trigger, and see if it can be made better. It's a long two stage and you kind of hit a wall? Heavy pull and not ready crisp. When I had it apart I though I could polish the release on the piston, but never done that kind of work before. Will use the adjusting screw first. Feel very comfortable that the 30W non detergent is the way to go on the old guns. Brought it to life very nicely.

Anyone know if you screw the trigger adjustment in or out to lighten?
    Last edited by 45flint; 04-03-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wild boar View Post
    "This link shows the stash I bought mine from:-

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?opt...ery&Itemid=136

No boxes - just lots of cases of Predom's wrapped in greaseproof paper - and very cheap too!

What looked like rust was just congealed grease that wiped off with some petrol (other solvents are available). "

i clicked the link on your site for the pistol but it just seemed to go back to the home page

Seems to be working now OK.

Try again on he link below:-

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?opt...ery&Itemid=136
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Here are the two. Seems the trigger improved on the Predom when I backed out the trigger adjusting screw?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...sdn7vvqfv.jpeg

What's the going rate for a good one of these?

preedom

Quote Originally Posted by aeron View Post
    What's the going rate for a good one of these?
    In GB £80 to 120 if orig. box a bit more in the de lux type box with cleaning rod etc 130 to 180 approx i would say.

preedom

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I bought two of these at the CINEY collecters fair in Belgium last october 2015.one is in a delux leatherette caes with oil bottle in minty
    cond. the other without. Price paid in euros was guns 80euros each, delux case 20 euros. at the time that was 180euros = £120. approx.
    Plus two cleaning rods at 4e. each.
    Correction not £120 but £145.