Thread: "Beautiful" Meteor

"Beautiful" Meteor

Never thought I would ever say it. Just got a MK 1 Meteor serial N766. I have had a dozen over the few months but this one just impressed me from the lovely pressed steel end cap to the grooved wooden stock. Think BSA was taking a lot of care with these early ones, with my engineering background I can appreciate the quality of the parts. They even etched the name on the cylinder.I have a few expensive air rifles now and never bothered before with these cheapy old rifles. Takes me back to when I was 16 in 1962 and used to drool over them in my Aunts Littlewoods catalogue where I could get one for 4 shillings a week. Also this one is in .177 and all the others I have worked on were in .22. Not sure if the No. 1 is rarer ? (This could just be a nostalgia rush !)

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 02-03-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Not just nostalgia. The mk1 is indeed a nice rifle. Although it's only beech some of the stocks are very finely grained if stripped

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Never thought I would ever say it. Just got a MK 1 Meteor serial N766. I have had a dozen over the few months but this one just impressed me from the lovely pressed steel end cap to the grooved wooden stock. Think BSA was taking a lot of care with these early ones, with my engineering background I can appreciate the quality of the parts. They even etched the name on the cylinder.I have a few expensive air rifles now and never bothered before with these cheapy old rifles. Takes me back to when I was 16 in 1962 and used to drool over them in my Aunts Littlewoods catalogue where I could get one for 4 shillings a week. Also this one is in .177 and all the others I have worked on were in .22. Not sure if the No. 1 is rarer ? (This could just be a nostalgia rush !)

Baz

Guilty Pleasure...

I've become a bit of a convert. Always been a Webley man (since the '70's,). Bought a couple of Airsporters off agunBBS, liked them. Remembered my early times with friends Meteors back in the day. Then I had a Hawk Mk 2.
    Last year I bought an early '70's resto project, more recently a 2013 example, really like them. Powerful enough for ratting & plinking, simple to work on, & light enough to use for an afternoon - unlike my Weihrauch 35's as I get older!

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I bought one off here a year or two ago, also in .177, it's a cracking little gun and perfectly capable, it's one of my favourite rifles. Really easy to work on as well, apart from getting the spring back in.
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Mine must be one of the first batch produced in 1959. Dennis Hiller's book says serial numbers ran from 1000 to 47000 with "N" prefix, and mine is N766 ? The precision little steel end cap was replaced with plastic in 1960. Also has a little precision interchangeable front sight insert held in block with grub screw.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Succumbed to my addiction again a month ago and bought another example,serial number N6666, whatever year that is.

The breech lock up is superb compared to later models, and with a rather tired action is still producing over 7ft/lbs with 8 grain marksman.