Thread: My two FWB 80 air pistols.

My two FWB 80 air pistols.

I was finally able to chrono them yesterday, and wondered what you might make of the difference in velocity between them.

Pistol A averaged 506 fps with R10 7 grn pellets, and the velocity spread was in single figures - two to three fps either way.

I already suspected from the more twangy action of Pistol B, and feel on firing, that it would have a lower velocity than Pistol A, and this was confirmed by the chronograph.

Pistol B averaged about 460 fps with the same pellets, and the velocity spread of about 25 fps.

With continued shooting these velocities could change of course but as a novice, I thought I would ask for your advice.

Is a velocity in the mid 400s with a 25 fps spread acceptable for a FWB 80? Is that spread likely to make any difference at 10m and 6 yards?

Should I order a maintenance kit from Germany (always a good idea to have one in hand) and get Dave Mercer to fit it?

Or should I just shoot it as it is?

As always your advice would be much appreciated.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Interested in the responses on this, as I had a similar question on the velocity of the 65. Is there much difference in the cocking effort (i.e. is the difference due to springs or seals)? Which one feels best to use (would increasing the fps with new springs be less pleasant to use)? I would have thought at 6m, user error would play a more significant part than the velocity/spread, but the spread may have more adverse effect on aim at 10m.

There is no discernible difference in cocking effort.

Gun A seems feels nicer to shoot, and I suppose that must be because of the faster cycle.

Gun B honks a little but then all these pistols are known for a certain twanginess. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they run dry.
    Arthur

I suppose what I'm really asking is, is my FWB 80 under-powered at 450 fps or is this velocity acceptable?

I could ask the same question of an FWB 65, since the internals are basically the same.

Always grateful for replies.
    Arthur

Expect there are other folk with more experience on these pistols, but to me the velocity on both looks very healthy, although the spread on one is not too good.

Like yourself I was looking for the velocity on the 65, and found various bits of information. There is a thread on Network 54 that refers to typically 460 to 490 fps with Hobby. I have in the past found information suggesting that much lower velocities are acceptable (i.e. before needing a service).

Let's see what others say.

Thanks for the reply.

I've replied to your pm.
    Arthur