Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home loading .22 rimfire

Home loading .22 rimfire

Any if you guys do this? I started looking at reloading and looked very complicated. Then noticed that the .22 seemed more simple. What cost saving is there on these cheap rounds?

Not practical as you cannot buy the cases etc.
    If you reuse old cases then you need to mix a primer powder with glycerine and place around the rim of the case etc....then find a decent heeled bullet to fit
    In the USA you can buy a kit to do this as described above but they is plenty of factory ammo about etc
    But people like to be different lol

Thanks for the reply.
    It is a very interesting process. Definately above me. But I guess when shooting large cal guns the cost of ammunition is expensive.
    I'm a big salmon and Seatrout angler and my hobbie when I couldn't fish was to make my own flies. Very satisfying when you catch on your own fly. I would imagine getting nice tight consistent groups on your home loads would have the same feeling.

Centrefire reloading is much simpler and easier than rimfire reloading.

I thought about this when I read about Aguila 60gn subsonics - but couldn't find a uk source.

Just not realistic.

If you can follow instructions and safely operate a set of precision scales without supervision then you can reload. Loading data handbooks are there to be read and used to SAFELY make or reload cartridges, they are not a rough guide for imaginative explosive adventurers. The propellant is not, in itself, a high explosive, unlike the priming compound in a rimfire cartridge.

You will notice that every single document about reloading has, as part of the preamble, a strong warning NOT to exceed the documented loads - if you do, then the onus is entirely on you.

tac

career707lover is offline His one man drag act at the dog and duck sells out every friday
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacknsilver View Post
    Any if you guys do this? I started looking at reloading and looked very complicated. Then noticed that the .22 seemed more simple. What cost saving is there on these cheap rounds?
    I think thats another reason its not so popular, they are relatively cheap to buy "ready made". I think there was some sort of shortage in the U.S. a few years back (no idea why?) and more and more people were looking into it but it didnt seem to come to anything. I always wondered if you could use nail gun blanks to help with the primer but wouldnt try it, sometimes its difficult enough to get my nail gun to work with Hilti cartridges never mind using the ingredients in something its not designed for

I've reloaded for nearly 50 years and never heard of anyone doing .22 RF. It isn't practical.

For a start, it'd be a puzzle to get the original firing pin indentation out of the rim. So far as I can see, it could only be done hydraulically, and that'd require some precision - therefore expensive - tooling.

If you didn't remove the indentation, you'd be left with the risk that the pin would strike the same place again, where there'd be little or no priming compound - once you'd found some more fancy precision kit to spin compound into the rim like they do in the factories. That risk would increase the more you reloaded the case.

You could probably charge the cases similarly to CF cases, except that your tolerances would be very tight for such small propellant quantities.

Then there's crimping the case on a heeled bullet to the same diameter... the list goes on. All for the cheapest round on the market?
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

I reload .22 Rimfire, not a hard process to be honest. Find it fun and a finger to those who say it can't be done haha, all good fun

the yanks were/are doing it as they are were not able to get .22 ammo.idiots over there were hoarding it buying it all up and selling on.wallmart i think it was were selling it all as soon as it came in and people could ony buy a small ammount at a time

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenC View Post
    I reload .22 Rimfire, not a hard process to be honest. Find it fun and a finger to those who say it can't be done haha, all good fun
    Can be done with match heads and clycerine etc and spin case to fill rim .
    Personally like what you say.........it's a finger to those who say it cannot be done lol
    It's not practical in this day and age but way theirs a will lol

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenC View Post
    Nobody is saying it can't be done, most are asking why? I assume that you make your own matches, pencils and paper clips, too?

Not to mention weaving your own Weetabix....

tac

i say good on him for doing it personally
    agree its pointless but so is climbing a big mountain......its a case of its there and i done it

And Weetabix is pressed. Shreddies are knitted

Lots of people say it can't be done tac, dident say someone on here lol.

I make my own percussion caps too, it's my time being used so can't see a problem 😘