Thread: Whats' the REAL reason

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I guess that, given the reaction of your FEO, shooters don't like to risk having a refusal on their record.

Broadly speaking tac the yank shooters have more say what they can and cannot do due to their gun culture. Over hear we do as we are told by those above.
    Interesting thread though

Cos plod won't condition them for it. Cos plod like being bloody awkward. I did find myself wondering whether the 'farmer's defence' would apply to walloping bambi with a bess or similar. I decided it probably wouldn't.
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

So how'sabout a 45-70 centre-fire? Seem to work pretty well on a 1500 pound buffalo, I recall...

tac

It's an interesting question. I suspect most FEO's think blackpowder guns are nothing more than smoke-poles and not powerful enough to drop a deer at 100-200yards.

I have to admit that many years ago before I took up using muzzleloaders I had a similar opinion, that was until I saw one fired from the prone position. I was amazed how fast the bullet got to the target,(100 yards) and the recoil pushed the shooter back a few inches. As I learnt more and got bit by the bug I gained a healthy respect for the black art.
    If the FEO's were more conversant with muzzleloaders and were aware that a trained marksman using a .577" Enfield could consistently put a bullet in a 4" square at 300 yards, (or was that 400 yards) they might think differently.

I suspect also that one of the problems with taking live game with a muzzleloaders is that they can be inconsistent. (I might have opened a can of worms here).
    I knew someone who had a flintlock rifle. It took him 2 years to get the patch/powder/lube combination right. But, when he did, he could shoot cloverleaf patterns everytime, but how many of us can do that?

I think my .41" rifle would knock over a bunny at 100 yards and I would like to try if I could get it on my FAC for pest control.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    So how'sabout a 45-70 centre-fire? Seem to work pretty well on a 1500 pound buffalo, I recall...

tac
    I know farmer who is allowed to have soft point ammuntion for his 45-70 just in case one of his cows breaks a leg.