my grampa, sadly now deceased from Waco texas was an avid hunter. I remember going over there and getting shots of rifles and shotguns probably from the age of about 6 or 7..
anyway.. as he progressed through life, he left the big bolt and lever actions in favour of BP rifles, and then in later years dropped even these for a bow and arrow.
I like to think that he did this out of respect and his knowledge of whitetail deer, rather than just taking up a new hobby.

like tac inferred, knowing your quarry is probably the most important aspect of hunting and respecting its place in the circle of life comes a close second. I dont hunt, but if I did, I would prefer a sub 12 air rifle for small game, and would prefer to use a bow for larger game.. unfortunately, theres nobody going to pass these skills on to me, and without that, I think it could take a lifetime to learn.

to comment on the original post, I dont know for sure why BP isnt allowed for taking game, but I assume its along the lines of why bows arent allowed for game in the UK - politically correct and intellectually challenged people have at some point decided for the rest of us that its not clinical enough or it violates the animals rights.... I would say to these people that they have their ancestors to thank for them standing where they are today, and that without a degree of barbarism, we will lose what it means to be part of the circle of life