Thread: Changing the Parallax distance on a fixed scope ???

Changing the Parallax distance on a fixed scope ???

Guys...

I've got a 35yd fixed parallax AGS 3-9x40 scope however I intend to use it for short (7-15 yd) range rat bashing and the image is a bit fussy at that sort of distance.

I believe you can reset the paralalax distance by loosening the objective lens securing ring, but the rest is a mystery...

Questions..

Do I have to have to take the lens out and adjust an inner ring, if so if it's purged with Nitrogen will I bug*er it up ???

Is it a better bet to leave well alone, flog it and by a PA scope ???

Thanks as usual
    ATB Toby
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence..."

You won't need more than 3X for close rats, are you sure it's blurred at that mag?
    Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Hi Toby.
    you'll almost certainly get someone suggesting to do a search shortly but here's the method, anyway.

As you say, you need to unscrew the front locking ring. Some are easy to unscrew but some require use of a "tool" that can be obtained from most hardware stores. It's basically a loop of strong material, that can be tightened round the locking ring (usually meant for oil filter cans on cars BTW) to exert leverage to unscrew it.

Then you need to look at the objective lens mounting ring to see if it has a couple of diametrically opposed nicks in it.

Ideally, you need to make up a thin plate that will go right across the diameter of the lens and into the nicks to unscrew the objective lens. Think mega wide screwdriver blade.

Failing this, a small jewellers screwdriver can usually be used in one of the nicks to move the lens. Take much care NOT to slip and scratch the lens.

Adjust magnification to max and look at something as close as you're going to shoot at. It will probably be very blurred.

Use whichever tool you have and UNSCREW the objective lens a LITTLE BIT.

Check your target again

Keep on adjusting 'till your target starts to focus. Note!!! If you try to adjust tooooo much, the lens might come out so far as to be unstable, so don't get greedy. If the target is focussed enough to let you see it, let it be. It's unlikely that the Nitrogen will leak out, unless you let the lens fall out.

The main problem you will probably have is that the locking ring might not have enough thread to re-lock the lens.

If that's the case, then it's up to you if you want to take the chance.

HTH,
    Sandy

The gripper device is called a GAITOR grip. Plastic handle with a long rubber strip. You strap it around the item and then twist in the correct direction, DO NOT USE an oil filter type wrench as the rubber gaotor grip is more forgiving.

Cheers Steyr,
    couldn't, for the life of me, remember what the damn thing was called.

Sandy

No probs Sandy

They are pretty handy too