Thread: Just when you think you've seen it all!

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

Just when you think you've seen it all!

While doing my usual perusal of "ye old gunne shoppe" other wise known as proteks;
    my attention was grabbed by a collection of heavily modified guns.
    the two air pistols had been fitted with large hand carved wood grips with
    polished butt plates,one a web junior the other a premier i guess this was done
    for an arthritic hand etc.
    but the two rifles gave an indication of a skilled engineers hand,the orig 50 had been
    reworked blanking off the tap loader then machining a large oval at the correct position making it into
    something akin to an hw77 sliding breech!.
    an unadulterated fwb 300s was there.
    exactly the same was done to a web mk3 ;this man obviously had some dislike of tap loaders.
    other interesting bits and pieces were found in the bottom of the box ,all the original grips for the pistols.
    various 70/80 sighting stuff like boxed "aim points" etc great if you have a jackel requiring a period sight.
    all the instruction manuals especially the fwb one with id nums plus a full set of reticles and peep sights.etc.
    loads of other interesting bits kept me quiet for a couple of hours.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

I must have been in there just after you Bob! Saw the 300S, bit of a problem as Vic cannot get the handmade extra muzzle weight off - the correct front sight matches the size of the muzzle weight sleeve, and I don't think he has the actual FWB one. We agreed that it would be very good with a small objective sight on it, apparently as it came in when he bought it.

Any chance of some pictures of the reworked Webley Mk.III, Bob ?

I always preferred the Mk.III's original Diana form, with the loading tap on the left side.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    the orig 50 had been
    reworked blanking off the tap loader then machining a large oval at the correct position making it into
    something akin to an hw77 sliding breech!.
    Did it have a sliding breech or was it some kind of roller breech? I cannot understand how it works, how is the cylinder sealed?

hi i will ask a mate to post the piccs of the reworked mk3 and the original50.
    It would seem the man who did this was quite a a talent at this rework.
    as with the hw77 the underlever retracts the sliding breech and somehow hes achieved the same,
    although its a real fiddle insert the pellet in the breech as the barrel is set in a bit more than the hw .
    i first thought he had shoe horned in the hw but no hes done a conversion;i understand your
    confusion on this and had to look at it quite hard.
    Yes that fwb has somehow had an extra muzzle weight attached ,and in keeping with his previous work
    is an art all of its own ,he really must have had some time on his hands.
    Last edited by red bob; 20-03-2016 at 12:02 AM.

loads of other interesting bits kept me quiet for a couple of hours.

I love going to my local gun shop chatting with the staff (winding them up ) then going through their drawers.
    Ive found all sorts of hidden gems.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    hi i will ask a mate to post the piccs of the reworked mk3 and the original50.
    It would seem the man who did this was quite a a talent at this rework.
    as with the hw77 the underlever retracts the sliding breech and somehow hes achieved the same,
    although its a real fiddle insertin the pellet in the breech as the barrel is set in a bit more than the hw .
    i first thought he had shoe horned in the hw but no hes done a conversion;i understand your
    confusion on this and had to look at it quite hard.
    That sounds really cool, how much were they asking for this 50?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Does sound very good...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thinking/deluded maybe but the Mklll for example seems fairly simple in engineering terms. The transfer port could be sleeved to leave a spigot to engage/seal
    the sliding sleeve as in HW etc to ease the pellet loading. It may be possible to leave the loading tap unmolested or at least in place which would look good and please the enthusiasts. Some say the port dia. and length are too large as it is.

i think the 50 and mk3 will go up on the website next week but i imagine the
    pricing will be a bit tricky being a hybrid albeit a nice functioning one.
    we really had trouble imagining the day when he picked up the 50 and said
    i know im going to convert this
    i sort of pandered to the idea he also had a quirky sense of humour as he imagined the
    confusion of someone coming across it and scratching their head at this anomaly.
    the man who did it apparently died and the collection was gathered up in a clearance
    when all this was discovered.
    A similar thing happened locally to a well known shooter who had amassed boxs of
    all sorts of interesting target shooting stuff ,high end peep sights etc but there
    was a shock in store for his family as there were several rifles on ticket while the
    police are generally sympathetic when a ticket holder passes on leaving a family in a tricky
    position it does mean the rifles must be sorted urgently at a time when that is the least on their minds.