Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making your own parts and even whole guns

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Before you start working with your lathe or mill when you get it, all you need to do is watch a few youtube videos of the procedures you want to undertake.
    I defy anyone that says you cant learn it all online
    https://youtu.be/SzgPOJPTo_A
    You can learn it all online - or even by reading a good book, but it takes practice to produce a decent job.

Professionals will tell you its all about the feeds and speeds.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I too had no metal working experience, until I signed up in 1995 for a model engineering evening class at the local Tech. Did 3 years of 3 terms/year on Colchester lathes and Bridgeport mills (amongst other machinery) and went from a complete ignoramus to knowing at least something. Set up a machine shop in my garage based on what I'd learned, with two old British lathes (Milnes and Drummond), a Fobco drill, Adept shaper(motorised), grinder and lathe milling attachment. Planned in 2012 to return to the Tech course for a refresher, only to find that the Tech has been demolished and the site is now "executive housing". Something valuable has been lost.....

I brought a lathe a while back - so handy in making parts
    I had not used one since school but picked it up again quite quickly with the aid of youtube and google
    I have made some pens, and bits for guns
    quite a bit of this gun http://theywalkamongstus.co.uk/airguns/tdr.html
    cheers
    si

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Wouldn't attempt to make parts for an airgun but seeing all the gun bits on "that Site" I do wonder if its possible to make a whole gun providing you take the time and effort to buy them all ?
    Suppose its possible but at a cost ?
    “An airgun or two”………