Thread: BSA T serial numbered rifles

BSA T serial numbered rifles

Hi all

Just picked up a BSA STD serial No T3745 (.22) 2 bore can someone enlighten me as to date of manufacture.
    Had a quick play in the garden and it seems to shoot really nice and is in good condition,a bit worn (thin blue Img)but no rust .
    How do these compare with the pre war made ones and are they as sought after ?
    ATB
    James

I think that's late 30's "long Tom". Picked one up this week too.
    I could be wrong though.
    Rust never sleeps !

Thanks I've seen that they are called that , is that for any particular reason?
    Regards
    James

long tom

The name "long tom" was associated with the WWII us 155mm field gun, google the thing, its a long, nay huge, triple axled mobile artillery piece capable of firing a shell more than ten miles.
    Since the 45" "S" and "T" prefix bsa rifles were at the time the longest airguns they produced, they probably got the name from this, but in essence the name long tom is associated with anything tall or long, its fairy generic.
    Even though the bsa rifles were around before the US artillery piece came about i believe its unclear just when the term was actually associated with the airguns.
    There are 45" imp model d rifles also known as the same "long tom" but just when people started to refer to them as such is unclear, like the chicken and the egg?
    eric

The cylinder is about 2" longer than the one on my early BSA, not sure what the stroke is, not opened it up yet.
    Rust never sleeps !