Thread: Millita?

Millita?

I have this air rifle that I got from Dennis Hiller in the 80's for £12.
    It's been wrapped up in a blanket in the loft for many years as I've stated in previous posts I have just returned to air gunning after a long break.
    I have always referred to it as a Millita, as Dennis stated at the time but I think guns with no mark of this type often are, so I'm asking if anyone knows exactly what it is.
    Gun is long 40" long
    Barrel is 17 1/8th" long and smooth bore
    There is a stamped butt plate with a clear mark on it, would this be the makers mark or added by a retailer? The symbol may be familiar to some of you.
    The only mark on it is "Made in Germany" between the barrel pivot and the push button, as seen in one of the pics.
    It is well faded so had it had any etching this is long gone but I'd imagine it never had marks of this nature.
    The non adjustable rear sight looks the right period but does seem over scale, yet fits the dovetail nicely.
    The reason I ask if it's Millita is that all pics I have seen seem to have a nut on the left side at the barrel pivot but this has a slot head screw each side, this may mean nothing at all though obviously.
    Lastly serial numbers on guns of this era are often claimed to be date stamps, as seen in one of the pics mine shows "10" in two places. This would be an incredibly low serial so most likely the date however I thought they put month and year so does this really mean 1910?

Views and info welcome.

Hi Steve,

Technically only Langenhan made airguns imported by Martin Pulvermann were named Millitas but the word has been used to describe this type of airgun. The stock mark is new to me but the airgun does have some Langenhan features, such as overall style and that side barrel release catch. This style of airgun was exported all around the world (I have a French marked example) and not just Pulvermann imported them into the U.K. Anson called his the Ansonia and Lincoln Jeffries sold his under the Lincoln name.

I suspect Dennis got it right if he called this a Millita type - his book contains a lot of useful information, although the early and late models have been mixed up.

The serial numbers on these airguns often ran into five digits and not a lot has ever been determined from studying them. The 10 is unlikely to be a date stamp as I do not know of any others.

I admit to being intrigued by the butt markings - looks like a stylised Edgar Brothers!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thank you John,
    I'd been through Hiller's book and what you wrote is very much as I was thinking.
    I would be quite pleased if 10 was my serial No. though, however 1910 as a date I would easily believe.

Any other thoughts out there?

Hi Steve,

John Atkins has seen your photos and has identified your rifle as a product of Emil Barthelmes (hence the EB). John has kindly asked me to share the following:

"Butt plate mark of Emil Barthelmes. GermanTrade Mark is No. 183456 (20.3.13 Application). Reg. 6.11.13 to Firma Emil Barthelmes, Zella St. Blasii. Rifle Maker.

I have about ten EB a/rifles logged with numbers in the register with the lowest S. No. 31 and highest No. 234 - but have probably seen a lot more of these ‘Millita’ types. Maybe 15 or so, over the years. Quite good quality. All seen (apart from No. 31) were side push button release for breech.

These a/guns are forefathers of the familiar Fritz Barthelmes compact ‘Jumbo’ air pistols. It’s a very old firm est. 1854. Believe Emil was Fritz’s father or uncle? The air rifles are not as old as the Trade Mark registration date. It’s not 1910 and the mark is for the actual maker, not a retailer. I don’t think they are from Langenhan parts - as I’ve compared them. I think they may have been made up until the 1930s, but I might be wrong."

Hope you find the above as fascinating as I have done. I am a fan of Millita type airguns and thanks to you and John, I too have learned something new today.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

I send thanks again John, Mr Atkins himself no less, I am honoured!
    Brilliant to have info on the maker.
    So 10 is the serial after all? better than being the date IMHO as it's so low and £12 well spent at the time.
    Glad I didn't out it in my recent cull (see another post). Shame it's missing the rear trigger guard to stock screw.
    Please forward my thanks to J.A.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I send thanks again John, Mr Atkins himself no less, I am honoured!
    Brilliant to have info on the maker.
    So 10 is the serial after all? better than being the date IMHO as it's so low and £12 well spent at the time.
    Glad I didn't out it in my recent cull (see another post). Shame it's missing the rear trigger guard to stock screw.
    Please forward my thanks to J.A.
    Will do Steve. John is very helpful and I too have benefited from your Hiller purchase.

I miss the good old days of Dennis's mailings dropping through the post flap and that anticipated look through all of the airguns and accessories Dennis was offering for sale. I guess the market is a bigger one today, with the internet but I'd choose Dennis's mailings and a visit to a second hand shop or rural ironmongers over a keyboard every time.

John