Thread: Blowback pistol

Blowback pistol

I have a ‘proper’ target pistol and now I’d like a pure ‘fun pistol’. For back garden plinking.
    A CO 2 blowback is what appeals and after a lot of searching on the ‘net I’ve pretty much decided on getting an RAC 1911.
    The historic look appeals, as does the fact that these are all steel and are field strippable. All the reviews I’ve read are good too. Only real ‘complaint seems to be about the OTT lettering and its positioning but I can live with that.

A few questions, for any that have one of these :-
    Reliability OK?
    Spare parts available - extra magazines in particular?
    Are these pistols OK with copper coated lead BBs? I just don’t like the idea of steels bouncing around.

Feedback/comments much appreciated
    Thanks in advance.

Point of detail, they are not "all steel". Like almost all CO2 guns of their type they are made of Mazak, a zinc-based alloy.

These are KWC guns and fairly common, they have been branded as all kinds of other guns (Mainly the Tanfoglio Witness, Swiss Arms and the Remington). There are at least 2 KWC 1911A1 variants (not sure if there are any 1911s), a traditional version and a modernised tactical version but both are essentially the same gun, the modern ones have been sold as the blackwater and by Umarex and they have a weaver rail on the frame (useful for fitting a laser\torch or bridge mount for a red dot).

They are fairly reliable (apart from the second batch of Tanfoglios which had fairly dodgy magazines) but not entirely fault free, as already stated they are not steel.

Do not trust the safety as it will eventually wear (My view, if you rely on a safety you are not safe!! So it's not too much of an issue). Keep it out of battery when not shooting and clear it before you put it away.

Do not overload the magazines (and always load them from the bottom), as long as the follower is well clear of the loading port and the finger tab sits in the thin part of its groove you will be fine (overloaded magazines cause all kinds of problems and you'll be amazed at where BBs will get too, usually right in the blowback chamber).

They work fine with copper coated lead BBs, stay away from Gamo Lead ball though, they will not even fit in the chamber (They are true .177).

Magazines are quite easy to get if there is a batch in the country (I assume they come in with the guns). I have 4 between my 2 pistols and it really adds to the fun. Magazines can be a bit leaky but these are easily fixed, 2 of mine have leaked so far, both were easily fixed (One needed the valve removing and cleaning, the other required the CO2 piercing assembley tightening up).

Just remember this is a fairly cheap BB gun originally designed as an airsoft gun, but treat it well and it will last. My Tanfoglio Witness is a 2010 model and despite a bit of wear to the paint (which adds to the finish, especially with the original 1911 grips I've had since the 90's! They only need slight modification on the back) it is fine, my other is a Blackwater which is running a red dot on a bridge mount and a laser and is great fun.

Finally, if you like historical automatic pistols I'd also recommend the KWC Luger (and Variants) and the KWC M712 is quite a handful, the ASG CZ75 is also a very nice pistol. I am not sure if they are available in the UK yet but the Umarex Colt Combat Vet looks like a nice version of this pistol, is weathered and makes use of Umarex's Colt Licensing (It is Colt marked but they are not very authentic!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPtqruFzQ6o
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Thanks for the feedback guys - appreciated.

Get one mate, I love my 1911's, good fun and realistic guns to own.
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

personally i have 2 x blowback pistols and find that both to tend to jam a lot more often when using the copper coated lead bbs, using the steel bbs i do not get this problem , otherwise great fun guns

Thanks for replies.

I've ordered a Remington RAC 1911 now - hope to have it next week. Just hope the weather improves so I can try it outside

Finally got my pistol yesterday - Remington RAC 1911 ACP.

Nice gun. Fit and finish is good. Trigger is a little heavy but not bad, and I expect it will 'smooth' with use. Accuracy pretty good - better than I expected. No sight adjustment of course and pistol shoots a little high and a tad to the right at 6 yards offhand. This with steel BBs.

I put about 100 BBs through it then field stripped it to remove any 'crud' from the manufacturing process and there was a little to clean out. Removed that then treated the 'slide rails' to a very thin coat of moly grease, the trigger and other metal moving parts a tiny drop of oil and the seals area for the CO2 cartridge with a little silicone oil. All nice and smooth now - wasn't bad before

Just want the rain to stop now (I shoot outside on my patio) so I can do some 'cards' for the Umarex Boys Club competitions. There are several 'net based' comps you can try id you shoot at home. Just download the targets you need, shoot them and submit your scores. An honesty based system so no need to post off shot cards. If you go to the Boys Club site (link on this site you can use) you can find out more.

HI mate glad your liking the 1911 and look forward to seeing your UBC comp scores.
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..