Thread: Webley Victor .22

Webley Victor .22

Just picked up this little gem..... got to be 30 odd years old with one small chip in stock and a couple of light blemishes across stock.
    still has open sights and blueing in great condition. ..
    almost to scared to fire it incase I damage it.

Think I am developing a soft spot for the older Webley....
    Life looks better through a scope!

That's a dangerous thing to do. Problem with Webley is they made a lot of models, and a lot of varients of each. You may find your collection growing quicker than you thought it would.

If you don't already have the books, I really recommend Gordon Bruce's Webley Air Pistols, and Chris Thrale's Webley Air Rifles. Also Dowell's The Webley Story, Gordon Bruce's (again) W&S Automatic Pistols, Stephen Cuthbertson's World Wide Webley, plus the Webley Solid Frame Revolvers books. You may find your interest goes beyond Webley airguns (fencing musket, other guns, machine parts, vehicle jacks, electric fans etc etc etc...) Happy Days!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's quite hard to damage a Webley Victor. As far as I remember they were a cheaper, simpler iteration of the Webley Vulcan but tailored for the adolescent shooter. Thus they had no safety catch and a plain stock without a butt-pad and with a shorter reach, they also had a weaker spring for easier cocking. You can fit a normal full-power Vulcan spring if you want them back up at the limit, but why bother?

The trigger is a bit narrow, so that can be improved with a trigger shoe and watch for the development of lateral play in the breech jaws which can affect accuracy. Other than that it is a sturdy little springer and the mother of the peculiar straight-gripped Beeman C1 Carbine which is the answer to a question no-one asked 'can we please have a springer that will fit in the bucket-scabbard of a cavalry horse?'.

If you are in love with Webley, then buy a Hawk Mk III (the worst Hawk and one of the worst Webleys) and you can see how far they came by the time the Victor was released.

I have one of these webley victors which was my very first. 22 rifle my dad bought me from a Carboot as a very young child (5 years old ) still shoots beautifull today although I had tinkered with the piston a little in my teens, lightening piston, opening transfere port and butoning the piston, used to shoot lovely before all that and still shoots lovely today.

It's one I always say to myself that in the summer, I'd like together it out and shoot some pellets through it and see what's it's capable of.

My shoots around the 9ftlb mark with original spring.

Atb
    Daniel

I have a .177 one; beautiful rifle but not as refined as more modern springers. Not sure about different variants, but mine has a butt pad ... I added a white line spacer made from a washing up liquid bottle. The Victor is, I believe, the same size or at least same length, as the first model Vulcan but without the safety catch. If I remember correctly, and it is a long time since I delved into mine, the trigger unit is the same as the Vulcan but does not have the safety bits fitted. About 10 ft lbs is fine.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks for the replys guys....

You are all spot on with what you say. I also have a webley eclipse mk1 In .22 and enjoy shooting that. Think my collection will grow.

Don't think I will tinker with the victor as it seems to hit hard at 30 yards and I will keep it open sight for close targets and see if I can get ok groups from it as is. I may buy a chrono soon just to keep an eye on collection!

Such a simple rifle that's light and reliable..... now can I get accurate with it 😀
    Life looks better through a scope!