Thread: bsa mercury barrel detent.

bsa mercury barrel detent.

Hi guys a chap at work has picked up a bsa mercury. It's in good overall condition but the barrel has a little vertical movement. He wants to replace the barrel detent spring but is at a loss of how to get it out. So the question is... how do you remove it. I'm guessing knocking out a retaining pin???
    Thanks for any help...

Pernod.

poor memory at times

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Hi guys a chap at work has picked up a bsa mercury. It's in good overall condition but the barrel has a little vertical movement. He wants to replace the barrel detent spring but is at a loss of how to get it out. So the question is... how do you remove it. I'm guessing knocking out a retaining pin???
    Thanks for any help...

Pernod.
    Isnt the detent pin simpy held in by the barrel pivot pin? If so remove the barrel pivot pin and the detent will fall out with the spring. Unless im wrong.
    eric

Cheers mate. I will pass the info on..

barrel play

Hi i recently bought a mk2 mercury that had a bit of virtical movement in the barral and when i stripped it down the groove thats machined into the barrel that locates into the pin when you shut the barrel had been machined slightly to deep from the factory and the detent plunger was fine as i swapped it out of my mercury s just to make sure it made no difference so while the barrel was off i just put a run of weld along the half round groove and reshaped it with a rotary file in my dremel then when i put it back together again its now perfect i hope this helps

cheers Andy