Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther Century GT .22

Interesting thread Dave. I have a .177 LGV Challenger which has a plastic ambi stock presumably much like yours. This rifle had been to V Mach before I bought it (second hand at a bargain price in my eyes) and was fitted with the Slimtech 'RACE' muzzle brake.
    It shoots really well and if I'm honest I think I prefer it to the HW80 at legal limit except for the fact-and this is important to me-that the stock is pretty rubbish and mid price after market stockmakers like CS do not offer anything for the Walther range. This means I'm stuck with the OEM offering as I'm not prepared to shell out for the likes of Mr Cane to make me something really nice and expensive and take ages to do it.
    Comparing the Walther/Weihrauch and Air Arms offerings leaves me with the following conclusions. The 'best' legal limit .177 I own is a HW95 provided-and this is essential-you have a decent muzzle WEIGHT on the end of it! The lightweight HW silencer is useless on a HW95 in my view. Mine has a Venom barrel bought on here with a specially brass-weighted Slimtech silencer and inset shims. It originally came from a Venom Hornet so is an extremely high spec barrel. It has made all the difference in the world. It also has a brass set back Venom trigger blade attached to the standard-but presumably breathed-on-Rekord unit which I swapped over from another rifle. The action has a stage 1 tune and all in all I find it hard to miss with this rifle. I agree with you that the Pro Sport is a lovely smooth rifle BUT to me as a lefty there are too many compromises. The TX200 is also lovely but I am finding that I prefer the ease of loading of a break barrel over underlever.
    Be good if you can find the time to come over and compare your Century with my LGV?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I had a go of a century, i was impressed a solid rifle with a thud type of recoil it reminded me of a 95 tho the century is a bit more hefty..
    Nice review by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    ...Comparing the Walther/Weihrauch and Air Arms offerings leaves me with the following conclusions. The 'best' legal limit .177 I own is a HW95 provided-and this is essential-you have a decent muzzle WEIGHT on the end of it! The lightweight HW silencer is useless on a HW95 in my view...
    Nick, I completely agree with all of that: I've acquired a slightly battered old style HW95K, with the longer barrel and muzzle weight, and it is effortlessly accurate. I previously owned the newer silencer version and it just wasn't as good.

That said, any HW95 these days is about 50% more expensive than the Walther Century and, IMVHO, not worth that kind of premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    ...Be good if you can find the time to come over and compare your Century with my LGV?
    That would be an interesting comparison. We'll have to sort that out!

Awfully sorry not to have handled and shot any CENTURY so far.

But I do own a LGV-CU and a LGU-Master. Sold a LGU-CU as I was not convinced by the stock and the LGU-Master was already present.

Tuned
    in .177: HW 30S, 50S, 35S, 77/97 and a TX 200 HC
    in .177 and/or .22: 95S, 80 & 90.

To bring up ANY HW to the factory level of the WALTHERS LGV, LGU, CENTURY,... is a really great tuning effort, without guarantee of success.

So my advice from my very own experience -

for the non-tinkering shooters:
    get a WALTHER and just shoot it, the more the better.

for the tinkerers:
    get a WALTHER, dissassemble, clean and relube it, then just shoot it, the more the better.

for the tuners:
    go and get a HW, it's worth the effort.