Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bisley arms fair this sunday 27th march...

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Good to talk to you both, you've certainly got the G4 market covered John. I got there to be greeted an old friend of mine who presented me with a photo of me as a very young lad in 1981 taken at the first airgun club I ever joined. Only thing I bought was a tin of the original Sheridan "Bantam" cylindrical pellets. I suspect there were more bargains about, especially since Gingernut wasn't there to beat me to them!

Turned down a boxed Record LP1, which I should have bought since I have a soft spot for these cheap German pistols.
    Great to have a natter with you too. Glad you at least saw the boxed Record - I have owned both Record 1 and 2 pistols in the past and although basic, I did enjoy owning them. I remember selling one but not the other, although if I still have it, I don't know where. I think I bought it at one of the very first Bisley arms fairs from Mike Dodd (remember him?).

How much was the Record you turned down and did it have any accessories?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I didn't make it.

Lawrie sold me an excellent 160 with a Crosman peep sight last year too.
    He told me it was good and like John it then sold itself to me when I picked it up!

When people say the modern Chinese SMK ones are based on these the word loosely comes to mind, to say the least!

Pleased to hear that all the Bisley shows appear to be on this year.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

Pleased to hear that all the Bisley shows appear to be on this year.
    It seems the next show will be the last at the Pavilion. There seem to be plans to hold events at the NSRA Lord Roberts Centre after that, so at least they are still to be held. One rumour I heard from an exhibitor was the Pavilion is to be used by the Police as a training centre. Shame as it has lots of history, a character of its own and a wonderful atmosphere. Can't say the same about the modern Lord Roberts Centre.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

I went to one of the badly organised National Shooting Shows hosted in the Lord Roberts Centre at Bisley and was disappointed at the
    total lack of any atmosphere.

I would rather attend shows in the marquees as at the Imperial meeting.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I went to one of the badly organised National Shooting Shows hosted in the Lord Roberts Centre at Bisley and was disappointed at the
    total lack of any atmosphere.

I would rather attend shows in the marquees as at the Imperial meeting.

Regards

Brian
    I remember that one Brian - I think they charged a tenner to view a handful of stands. I was also told a BSA Improved Model D in .25 was snapped up from one of the dealers that day, so someone went away happy.

I too would love to see a tented show along Bazaar Lines, held in the manner of the old Imperial events but...it would not have worked yesterday in that torrential rain and howling wind, so I can see some benefits of holding it at the Lord Roberts Centre. I only hope the event continues to be supported by the trade and by visiting buyers. One of the other clubs on site may also be a better venue but I guess it's a case of whether it is big enough and whether the club committee can be persuaded to take on such a prestigious event. The Pavilion was originally built for such events and it is frustrating we seem to be losing it through what appears to be NRA mismanagement of the site.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Great to have a natter with you too. Glad you at least saw the boxed Record - I have owned both Record 1 and 2 pistols in the past and although basic, I did enjoy owning them. I remember selling one but not the other, although if I still have it, I don't know where. I think I bought it at one of the very first Bisley arms fairs from Mike Dodd (remember him?).

How much was the Record you turned down and did it have any accessories?

Kind regards,

John
    It was an LP1, in a "flat" style box in yellow that opened at the side, no accessories and it was £30. I didn't think condition wise, it was for me.

Mind you, I've seen people asking over £100 for one of these!

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    It was an LP1, in a "flat" style box in yellow that opened at the side, no accessories and it was £30. I didn't think condition wise, it was for me.

Mind you, I've seen people asking over £100 for one of these!

Regards
    That seems a reasonable price but as you say, if the condition was poor, then you probably did right in turning it down.

John

Pleasant Surprise

I picked-up this Crosman 130 complete with associated paperwork at Keith's stand and called in at the range I use on the way home just to see how it performed. Although I have begrudgingly developed a liking for Crosman pistols recently, especially the 150 & 600 models, I didn't have too high hopes for this pistol given the perceived effort it takes to get a single shot off, but once again I have been pleasantly surprised by the results. It took just six easy pumps of the lever to provide enough power to consistently get the pistol to group at 10 metres. The trigger is light and the relatively long sight radius and lack of recoil make this pistol potentially very accurate. Just need to make a slight windage adjustment and get used to the derisory banter from my club mates when I perform the 'Charles Atlas 'work out' prior to each shot.

It has become noticeable to me that these Co2 / pneumatic pistols seem to provide better accuracy than my spring powered air pistols in .22 calibre, but no better when .177 is used.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psycte6qr1.jpg

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I picked-up this Crosman 130 complete with associated paperwork at Keith's stand and called in at the range I use on the way home just to see how it performed. Although I have begrudgingly developed a liking for Crosman pistols recently, especially the 150 & 600 models, I didn't have too high hopes for this pistol given the perceived effort it takes to get a single shot off, but once again I have been pleasantly surprised by the results. It took just six easy pumps of the lever to provide enough power to consistently get the pistol to group at 10 metres. The trigger is light and the relatively long sight radius and lack of recoil make this pistol potentially very accurate. Just need to make a slight windage adjustment and get used to the derisory banter from my club mates when I perform the 'Charles Atlas 'work out' prior to each shot.

It has become noticeable to me that these Co2 / pneumatic pistols seem to provide better accuracy than my spring powered air pistols in .22 calibre, but no better when .177 is used.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psycte6qr1.jpg

Regards

Brian
    Nice find Brian.

My liking for the Crosman 150/157 came about by accident and I fear this interest may be extending to contemporary Crosman rifles, having bought that 3rd variant 160. I'll take it along to Bisley tonight for a plink as it is wasted on my indoor range.

John

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Would like to make this event one day but its a "bit of a stride" travelling that distance, probably why I've never been !

Also probably best I dont if you get my drift....and my Bank Manager's !
    “An airgun or two”………