Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posting target pistol

The sender would know if the gun contained batteries, and may well read the relevant section of the guidance (though cross referencing might well help), similarly the sender would KNOW that the gun did not contain gases, or indeed "Human Remains" and may well not trouble to read what would appear to be totally irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    It may help prevent folk falling into the trap. However I do not see the changes happening any time soon as they would need to mention full or empty etc.. effectively repeat what is stated in the other section. Note that on leaflet RMDG11 the gases clause is immediately before the guns for sporting use clause...which helps. Then there are airguns fitted with batteries (some springers, PCPs, optics)...there are six separate sections for batteries....where would they stop with the cross referencing.
    Interesting that you refer to RMDG11.
    There are several instances of helpful cross referencing in that document - such as:-
    Liquids Over 1 Litre - specifying that these liquids must not classified as dangerous goods.
    Human or animal samples - specifying that these may only be sent by qualified practitioner etc..
    Electronic devices sent with or connected to lithium batteries - specifying the number and power of batteries etc..
    PLUS Packaging Guidelines include other restrictions on numbers, weights, volumes etc..
    All very helpful.

As you know, Guns for Sporting Use refers to (Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts).
    There is no cross referencing to gas cylinders being dangerous goods. In fact, there is no cross referencing at all. The Packaging Guidelines go on to say that Parcelforce will accept only low-powered air weapons and must be sent using Express 48 via the Post Office.
    Other than including the sender's name & address, there are no other packaging restrictions.
    This is not helpful and I think we have already established that it is not consistent with the RM on-line guide either.

I would hope that someone from RM will accept that its guidance on Guns for Sporting Use needs improvement and it should clarify that gas cylinders are considered not to be component parts of low-powered air weapons and are classified as dangerous goods. This will avoid any future confusion.

Recently sent a pcp pistol using Parcel Force 48, insured it for £275 and had no problems. I had to pay a little extra for the extra value, from memory about £8 extra. The service is only available by going to the Post Office branch as they ask what's in it and the value. There were absolutely no problems. I have also received 3 parcels with air rifles and pistols inside with no problems. Sorry if I missed anyone else giving you this information but I didn't want to read all of the other stuff in this thread which went off-topic.

Lucky it was not opened or lost, if so you could have lost £275, plus postage plus £8. With the air cylinder it would be a prohibited item which they would destroy with no compensation. This has happened to others before (albeit by RM who are more likely to question/open the package). Enhanced compensation is not available for air guns with PF48 (their T&C's). It may have been offered to you by the post office staff, but some are not familiar with all of the PF T&C's. If the parcel were to have been opened or lost, you may of had a problem getting the money back. This issue has arisen many times on BBS.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 29-03-2016 at 05:43 AM.

Parcel force have carred lots of my pcps u use parcel force 48 and write on " road mail only " on the box as requirements of parcel force instead of asking the same questions over and over again on forums try ringing actual parcel force . The problem arises if the parcel is tred to be sent by air mail it's no point insuring for x amount even if u insure for a thousand pound your only coverd for maximum £100 as I say phone them they will gadly send u updated terms and conditions

That's good if all goes to plan. In the unlikely event of a loss, damage or opening of the package, I expect the official line from PF will be that gas cylinders are prohibited. I choose not to use PF for such goods, unless I see it in writing from PF that they are not prohibited.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Dpd

Better still, don't use RM at all, use DPD and their interlink direct service is for customers with out an account, a company that actualy cares and is reliable, and don't even ask or care what is in the parcel, they just pick it up and deliver it!
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I always use DPD - so far - so good
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

DPD T&C's HERE appear similar to other Couriers in that they will not knowingly accept firearms (of any description). But guess if they do not know....