Thread: Anyone using N160/N560 in a long barrelled .308?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone using N160/N560 in a long barrelled .308?

Hello chaps

I have an older .308 target rifle that I bought off of Bewsher, shoots well with 43gr n140 under a 155 but I get pressure signs at 43.5.

I'm just wondering as it has a 32" barrel whether it may benefit from a slower powder such as N160 or N560 (both of which I have here) as I may get lower pressure and make the most of the longer barrel.

Application would be longer range target work, out to 1000y, I may even pair it with 155 A-max for longer fox.

What are people's experiences / thoughts?
    Thanks for looking

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    I have always found that the powder that gives the best velocity will do so in all barrel lengths.

I'm not sure going that much slower will help, something to do with burn rate beng proportional to pressure and lower pressures of the very slow powders equating to. Negative cycle, etc.

would try Reloder 15. I get almost 3000fps from 150 grain flat based bullets and 2750 from 165 grain flat base bullets in 24" 308.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Try Wildbore or rs52 mate ;D

You could always try moly coated bullets as I found that I can get a higher velocity with less pressure .

Regards
    James

Cheers chaps, don't really want to fork out on any more new powders so will stick with the n140, and keep an eye out for some the above powders if they come up cheap
    Thanks for looking

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    I think I've got some Ramshot Wildboar powder here - it's easily available and is cheap as chips compared to other powders, so if it works, use it.

I'll bring some down when I bring your CZ527 trigger.

A.
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Cheers chaps, don't really want to fork out on any more new powders so will stick with the n140, and keep an eye out for some the above powders if they come up cheap
    Don't forget that if it is a rifle for formal TR and a few years old there is a good chance it has both a slightly tight bore and is throated for the NATO bullet, both factors that would increase pressures with the load you're using.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.