Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone using N160/N560 in a long barrelled .308?

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    Amax are slightly wider than most other bullets. I still don't think that RL17 would be a good match though no matter what quick load says. I found it very inconsistent until using with bullets over 200 grains in the 308. Plus stoaking 50 grains into a 308 is just stoooid it's a 308 it's never going to be a 300wm. Try Wildbore or RS52. RS 52 is a lovley powder in 308 and is very benign it gives very high velocity at lower than normal pressures

Agreed, only suggested it as I thought he might have some or that in extremist that dastardly KennyC could give him a bit to try.

these new powders with the brum rate modifiers throughout the powder grain are the way forward for more velocity, if one is buying a completely new powder RS52 et al are of course the way forward.

i've found Reloder 17 to work well in my 308, albeit with 180 grain bullets. I did get inconsistent results until I tried a firm crimp, guessing your loads were seated quite far out and uncrimped?

very interests to see your comments about the a max, I found that I needed to reduce the charge by a grain and a half compared to 150 grain Speer BTSP loads in my 3006, I think you've just explained why.

if you get a moment would you mind posting your measurements of various bullets for reference Please Danny?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winona Wu View Post
    Agreed, only suggested it as I thought he might have some or that in extremist that dastardly KennyC could give him a bit to try.

these new powders with the brum rate modifiers throughout the powder grain are the way forward for more velocity, if one is buying a completely new powder RS52 et al are of course the way forward.

i've found Reloder 17 to work well in my 308, albeit with 180 grain bullets. I did get inconsistent results until I tried a firm crimp, guessing your loads were seated quite far out and uncrimped?

very interests to see your comments about the a max, I found that I needed to reduce the charge by a grain and a half compared to 150 grain Speer BTSP loads in my 3006, I think you've just explained why.

if you get a moment would you mind posting your measurements of various bullets for reference Please Danny?
    RS52 does have a rep of being pretty benign, so if it is tight bore this may buy you some safety margin. That said, Danny tells me my old F class colleagues (stops to spit viciously) were saying it had temperature stability issues.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Winona Wu View Post

I'll dig my old DTA data book out later mate and see what I was shooting buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    I'll dig my old DTA data book out later mate and see what I was shooting buddy
    Targets nobhead

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Targets nobhead
    thats not always a given
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    thats not always a given
    No, he puts most of them into the sand

My pet loads are.....
    175 gn Berger vld and 45 gn tr140 in my short barrel .308 ph scout is perfect
    175 gn Berger vld and 55 gn vit160 in my ph super safari 1200 30-06 is also bullet on bullet at 110 yds
    The 308 is good out to 600 yds in windy diggle ranges but not tested the 30-06 there yet