Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using N160/N560 in a long barrelled .308?

Half in Torquay, half in a wood in north Worcester
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    That's a really good shout mate, do you think the inletting will take much work? Guessing it will need pillar and devcon bedding to get the best out of it. Hmmm, food for thought, will whip the stock off and email some photos of the trigger group over.

Cheers
    M98 actions are already pillar-bedded by design, so a bit of Devcon usually is enough to take up any slack.

It also worth checking if there is also some bedding under the barrel at the forend in the original stock - many PH sporter barrels were never designed to be free-floating, so the target rifles may be the same.
    Serial .300 Win' Mag' fondler

It's a Fultons built target rifle rather than a PH, from memory it's full bedded as far as the recoil lug with the barrel fully floating.

When I strip it to photo the trigger I'll photo the bedding too
    Thanks for looking

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    The 7.62 NATO at the time (146 or 147gr) used to come out at about .306 Scott.

This was free issue to the NRA based comps back then.

Personally I would load it as conservatively as you can get away with and deffo consider Danny's comments particularly re RS52, although if its tight bore, its tight bore.

You can try small primer pockets etc, but the bottom line is that the pressure will build with a tighter bore regardless of what you put behind it.

I will be interested to see how it goes Bipod v Sling as well. My M67 (A target rifle with a shorty 26" barrel) is a lot more forgiving from a sling but still shoots as well as a bipod. Off a bipod its touchy, hold it wrong and the group size doubles.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Thanks Adam, let me know when you're heading down next, I may be looking for an aftermarket unit for said Mauser with a safety soon too.

This was duff eyed Doyle's assumption too when he saw the rifle, a fair shout, fortunately the long barrel means the velocity I am getting is still pretty good.

It's going to stay as it is, other than perhaps the trigger, as Danny says shoots very well considering its age and what it cost. As for the n140 I'm afraid it's staying where it is, topped with a 155 smk will remain my go to load and it works well in the .223 under the same in 69 gr too!
    Give the trigger a good clean/lube you may be surprised.

They were designed for someone locked into a sling so were less sensitive, just means you will have to learn to shoot properly rather than resting everything and pulling a lanyard or clicking a mouse

That said I hoiked the mauser trigger out of my M67 and put an Old PH target unit in (cost me a tenner) and although nothing like a Timney or a Jewel it was a massive improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Give the trigger a good clean/lube you may be surprised.

They were designed for someone locked into a sling so were less sensitive, just means you will have to learn to shoot properly rather than resting everything and pulling a lanyard or clicking a mouse

That said I hoiked the mauser trigger out of my M67 and put an Old PH target unit in (cost me a tenner) and although nothing like a Timney or a Jewel it was a massive improvement.
    Hello mate, it doesn't have the standard trigger it is a 2 stage target trigger fitted by Fultons I guess when they built it. It's actually quite a nice trigger with no creep to speak of. Only issue is I now have the rifle conditioned for deer, and though not the most practical in the field I like the rifle and would like to hunt with it, from a static position so the length isn't an issue. The flag safety on the bolt fouls on the scope so doesn't function, not an issue on the range but I'd like a funtionjng safety in the field. I looked at the after market safeties available for the bolt but it's actually going to be cheaper to fit an after market trigger with a safety than changing the bolt about
    Thanks for looking

Hello mate, it doesn't have the standard trigger it is a 2 stage target trigger fitted by Fultons I guess when they built it. It's actually quite a nice trigger with no creep to speak of. Only issue is I now have the rifle conditioned for deer, and though not the most practical in the field I like the rifle and would like to hunt with it, from a static position so the length isn't an issue. The flag safety on the bolt fouls on the scope so doesn't function, not an issue on the range but I'd like a funtionjng safety in the field. I looked at the after market safeties available for the bolt but it's actually going to be cheaper to fit an after market trigger with a safety than changing the bolt about
    Ah that makes sense, you know I was taking the micky anyway Scott.

Sounds good mate. I was tempted by a PH T? on the FB Forum but I am on a cutdown currently rather than a spend more!!

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Playing with quick load suggests a compressed load of Reloder 17 would give the best velocity in a long barrels 308 with that AMAX Boydy.

it's not a suggested load from the Manufactor however.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Thanks mr Wu
    Thanks for looking

Thanks mr Wu

Fwiw the max load ( bearing in mind I don't have your case capacity figures) was around 50 grains for almost 105% load density.

standard caveats and quid quo pros apply, this isn't load data just something off a computer simulation.

should crack around 3000 from my 24 barrel so it might work in yours.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Winona Wu View Post
    Fwiw the max load ( bearing in mind I don't have your case capacity figures) was around 50 grains for almost 105% load density.

standard caveats and quid quo pros apply, this isn't load data just something off a computer simulation.

should crack around 3000 from my 24 barrel so it might work in yours.
    Sounds a bit heavy for the old girl, I had to stop at 44.5gr of n140 as got some very definite pressure signs and that's well below max. Will try some wildboar from Adam, if not 2800 will have to be enough!!
    Thanks for looking

Sounds a bit heavy for the old girl, I had to stop at 44.5gr of n140 as got some very definite pressure signs and that's well below max. Will try some wildboar from Adam, if not 2800 will have to be enough!!
    Is it? I've always had it my head that 44Gr under a 155 is the max listed load....

This thread makes me wonder if there's another powder buy to be had?

Reloder 17 is a slower powder than n140, somewhere between n150 and n160 from the data tables and also in my experience. it has proved almost identical in burn rate to H4350 in my rifles but with almost 100 fps more velocity because of it's special burn rate modifiers.

Maximum load for 155 grain bullets is given anywhere from ~43.5-45.5 grains for N140 depending on bullet and source so you're not too far off published data, even with velocity.

N140 is a pretty low energy ( comparatively speaking of course) single base powder and does not give the highest velocity possible in most cartidges from what I can see. Of course it clean burning and consistent but if velocity is the goal perhaps another powder or bullet might be the way forward. Have you tried miking a few bullets and seeing if any are a bit smaller than the amax?

Amax are slightly wider than most other bullets. I still don't think that RL17 would be a good match though no matter what quick load says. I found it very inconsistent until using with bullets over 200 grains in the 308. Plus stoaking 50 grains into a 308 is just stoooid it's a 308 it's never going to be a 300wm. Try Wildbore or RS52. RS 52 is a lovley powder in 308 and is very benign it gives very high velocity at lower than normal pressures

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Is it? I've always had it my head that 44Gr under a 155 is the max listed load....

This thread makes me wonder if there's another powder buy to be had?
    It depends who's load data you look at, nosler is 46.5

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/308-winchester/

Not sure wit the effort it turned out to be last time that Adam will fancy doing it again!
    Thanks for looking

It depends who's load data you look at, nosler is 46.5

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/308-winchester/

Not sure wit the effort it turned out to be last time that Adam will fancy doing it again!
    Interesting, but does indeed mirror my experience with 44.0Gr behind a J4 being a pretty tame load.