Thread: Vortex Viper owners... a question..

Vortex Viper owners... a question..

I've just ordered a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 to go on my new .308, but I'm now wondering if I made the right decision...

A lot of my shooting will be at 25m on my home range, with occasional 50m then even more infrequently longer ranges.

I went with the Viper as I wanted some quality glass, but I've just noticed that the parallax adjustment is 50m to infinity...

Does this mean that targets at 25m will be out of focus..??

I couldn't decide between a Falcon 5.5-25x50 FFP (parallax down to 10m) or the Vortex, but eventually decided on the Vortex for the known quality... did I make the right choice...??

TIA..

Daryll.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    I've just ordered a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 to go on my new .308, but I'm now wondering if I made the right decision...

A lot of my shooting will be at 25m on my home range, with occasional 50m then even more infrequently longer ranges.

I went with the Viper as I wanted some quality glass, but I've just noticed that the parallax adjustment is 50m to infinity...

Does this mean that targets at 25m will be out of focus..??

I couldn't decide between a Falcon 5.5-25x50 FFP (parallax down to 10m) or the Vortex, but eventually decided on the Vortex for the known quality... did I make the right choice...??

TIA..

Daryll.
    I have a Viper PST 4-16x50 (SFP) and yes, targets at 25m are definitely out of focus on x16. Did you make the right choice? Probably, if you'll be shooting 600 yards or more.

Thanks Severn, but I changed my mind in the end and went for a high end Hawke.

I know the Hawke glass, although good, won't be up to Vortex level but I'll be shooting at 25m far more than I will at 600m...

Daryll

Hawke is fine Daryll - I have a "Sidewinder" on my .308 and it's been perfectly satisfactory at all ranges and compares very well with the Vortex. Quite honestly I'm not convinced that the Vortex is significantly better!
    Cheers
    Mike

Does anyone know if you can reset the parallax on the vortex?