Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bang for buck tune on an HW85/95...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Cool Best bang for buck tune on an HW85/95...

Just short stroked the 85

Fitted one of Tinner's delrin short stroke noses to my 85, along with a Wonky Donky spring (hope I'm not breaking any advertising rules by mentioning these two chaps, but I'm really just reviewing a nose extension and a spring)...

I went for the 12mm as mines a .22, and that takes the stroke from 86mm to 74mm. For camparison a 99 is 71mm (both are 26mm bore).

Wow Loverly to fire, soft and quick at the same time, easy to cock and blistering accurate with superdomes.

For the tiny outlay of a spring and a nose ext, this will literally transform the flippy, hold sensitive 85/95 into a tack driver.

With hindsight I think going for the 10mm might have been a smarter idea, as the piston is a little heavy, and the extra 2mm of stroke would help to soften it a bit more. Also, you just notice the "slack" movement when cocking at the begining of the stroke - but only just. With a 2mm shorter nose (i.e. 10mm instead), I reckon you wouldn't feel it at all. I'd defo go for the 10mm in .177 regardless.

So there you go; about the best bang for buck I've ever seen in the field of spring gun tuning.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Sounds lovely, JB.

Will you be bringing it along for the weekend?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sounds lovely, JB.

Will you be bringing it along for the weekend?
    If I can fit it in the car.....!
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Yes, yes, PLEASE make sure you shoehorn it in!

Would love to have a quick go, please!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Got a 13mm Wonky Donky nose on my '85 piston, it is very accurate but I don't know if I have too much preload or too little or whether I should swap the spring out for another one ... Now I have finished fiddling with my 77 for the time being I will try to get this one sorted.

The 'loose' bit at the beginning of the cocking stroke caused by this method of short-stroking is not nearly as annoying as I thought it would be. It actually has a nicer feel than the regular break-barrel rigmarole - instead of working against the latch-bolt spring AND the mainspring it is just a matter of tapping the barrel to pop the latch bolt, then a nice smooth mainspring compression stroke.

An 'old school' 85 is a one of the best Weihrauchs. That 85 was a tack-driver before you shortstroked it!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 29-03-2016 at 11:20 PM.

I've a Bigtoe short stroked 95 with a Wonky Donky spring and it is very sweet to shoot. I like the barrel dropping before cocking begins. I break the barrel, pop a pellet in and then cock the gun and return the barrel in one action. I think it's safer than the standard way of loading a break barrel where you need the gun cocked before you can put a pellet in.

Quote Originally Posted by fatwelshboy View Post
    I've a Bigtoe short stroked 95 with a Wonky Donky spring and it is very sweet to shoot. I like the barrel dropping before cocking begins. I break the barrel, pop a pellet in and then cock the gun and return the barrel in one action. I think it's safer than the standard way of loading a break barrel where you need the gun cocked before you can put a pellet in.
    yup, I do the same - defo safer. You making it to the springer bash ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yup, I do the same - defo safer. You making it to the springer bash ?
    Would love to make it to the bash but working the Saturday and the BFTA Inters are on the Sunday. Gutted because I want to see what these 22/23mm TX's are like.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I got my Wonkyed HW95 back yesterday and what a fine bit of kit it's turned into and apparently it will only get better as it runs in apparently my rifle is the first he has tuned with his new designed piston seal and he (and myself) is very pleased with the results, I had a quick rezero session last night and managed some amazing groups and that wasn't even trying very hard and I had the sun facing me so couldn't get the nicest of sight pictures down the scope, to say I am pleased is an understatement.

I can't remember who it was on here who said a few months back on a thread that until you've used a properly sorted springer then you've not had the pleasure and experience and I have to totally agree.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Well I have just fitted tbt 12mm extension to my95 and i like it a lot, running a maccari hornet seal and a titan no5 with delrin guide and top hat, may lighten the piston a touch next, still not quite as good as my 99.

Quote Originally Posted by the67al View Post
    Well I have just fitted tbt 12mm extension to my95 and i like it a lot, running a maccari hornet seal and a titan no5 with delrin guide and top hat, may lighten the piston a touch next, still not quite as good as my 99.
    What calibre is the 95 Al ? Also what power are you running at ? Finally, what barrel length ?
    Cheers - JB

Hi Jon, .22 cal hovering around 11fpe with superdomes and 12" barrel, I like it so much it's a keeper and just bought a cs500 for it to match my 99

I bought a 10mm extention off Nick at the bash. I now need a 95 to put it on

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    I bought a 10mm extention off Nick at the bash. I now need a 95 to put it on
    I know I shouldn't post on this thread, but still: Lol!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    An 'old school' 85 is a one of the best Weihrauchs. That 85 was a tack-driver before you shortstroked it!
    What is the piston stroke on a mk1 Hw85 I was lead to believe it is 95mm.

Reducing the stroke by 15mm would be about right wouldn't it ?
    Last edited by HW777; 12-04-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: changed text
    Hw77+7