Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best bang for buck tune on an HW85/95...

Love my HW95k i believe its 79mm stroke measured with a delrin head with oring seal, original HW spring with a copy of the 177 piston wieght but in delrin as a tophat.
    With a parker Hale 240gram silencer on the barrel, id love to try an armex backdraft silencer in carbine fitment weighing i think 300grams.

I have a .177 HW98, and a 10mm TBT extension, spring and guide kit.

Just need some spare time in between work and children to actually fit them and shoot it!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    I have a .177 HW98, and a 10mm TBT extension, spring and guide kit.

Just need some spare time in between work and children to actually fit them and shoot it!
    you'll like it
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Does the Piston extension alter the recoil characteristics so that the muzzle weight found in the earlier HW95s is no longer required?

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    Does the Piston extension alter the recoil characteristics so that the muzzle weight found in the earlier HW95s is no longer required?
    yes But a moderate weight alloy silencer still helps.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Interesting! thank you So may be a really short barrel and perhaps a Parker Hale?

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    Interesting! thank you So may be a really short barrel and perhaps a Parker Hale?
    the 12" barrel with a PH would be sweet I'd guess. Mine has a 19" so a bit long...!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    the 12" barrel with a PH would be sweet I'd guess. Mine has a 19" so a bit long...!
    Thank you. Mine is the same hence the query.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Just short stroked the 85

Fitted one of Tinner's delrin short stroke noses to my 85, along with a Wonky Donky spring (hope I'm not breaking any advertising rules by mentioning these two chaps, but I'm really just reviewing a nose extension and a spring)...

I went for the 12mm as mines a .22, and that takes the stroke from 86mm to 74mm. For camparison a 99 is 71mm (both are 26mm bore).

Wow Loverly to fire, soft and quick at the same time, easy to cock and blistering accurate with superdomes.

For the tiny outlay of a spring and a nose ext, this will literally transform the flippy, hold sensitive 85/95 into a tack driver.

With hindsight I think going for the 10mm might have been a smarter idea, as the piston is a little heavy, and the extra 2mm of stroke would help to soften it a bit more. Also, you just notice the "slack" movement when cocking at the begining of the stroke - but only just. With a 2mm shorter nose (i.e. 10mm instead), I reckon you wouldn't feel it at all. I'd defo go for the 10mm in .177 regardless.

So there you go; about the best bang for buck I've ever seen in the field of spring gun tuning.
    Hi Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm up for a similar tune - Is the Wonky Donkey spring the one to go for ? - Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 21-01-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm up for a similar tune - Is the Wonky Donkey spring the one to go for ? - Cheers
    they are good springs, but personally I like to change one thing, see how it shoots, then use that information to inform the next change. Start with the short stroke.. you may find you are very happy with the firing cycle, and all it needs is (for example) is a twang reduction courtesy of a better fitting rear guide. Or you may find it too harsh, and a softer spring is the way to go. Lots of variables, not least calibre, barrel length, and personal preference...

Just short stroked the 85

Fitted one of Tinner's delrin short stroke noses to my 85, along with a Wonky Donky spring (hope I'm not breaking any advertising rules by mentioning these two chaps, but I'm really just reviewing a nose extension and a spring)...

I went for the 12mm as mines a .22, and that takes the stroke from 86mm to 74mm. For camparison a 99 is 71mm (both are 26mm bore).

Wow Loverly to fire, soft and quick at the same time, easy to cock and blistering accurate with superdomes.

For the tiny outlay of a spring and a nose ext, this will literally transform the flippy, hold sensitive 85/95 into a tack driver.

With hindsight I think going for the 10mm might have been a smarter idea, as the piston is a little heavy, and the extra 2mm of stroke would help to soften it a bit more. Also, you just notice the "slack" movement when cocking at the begining of the stroke - but only just. With a 2mm shorter nose (i.e. 10mm instead), I reckon you wouldn't feel it at all. I'd defo go for the 10mm in .177 regardless.

So there you go; about the best bang for buck I've ever seen in the field of spring gun tuning.
    Sounds good Mr Budd...
    Would this be goid in a full length .22 HW77?
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Sounds good Mr Budd...
    Would this be goid in a full length .22 HW77?
    the stroke is already much shorter... maybe 6-8mm reduction if it's a 26mm tube. Probably not worth reducing it at all if it's a 25mm

the stroke is already much shorter... maybe 6-8mm reduction if it's a 26mm tube. Probably not worth reducing it at all if it's a 25mm
    Thanks... I'm going to get some bits off tinners at the bash & have him show me how to strip it.. I want smoothness more than speed which is why I chose the full length. I've been fairly impressed with it as it is but I just want to settle the buzz a little more & get it feeling a bit tighter if you know what I mean. Maybe I should order a 7mm nose extension & top hat from him now to bring to the bash
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

You'll get the very best "buzz reduction" if you let Nick have your spring, matey. Then he can make the top hat (and guide, if required) to exactly match the spring. Unless you strip it at home - they're really easy to do, hand him the spring at The Bash and, if he brings a small selection there, choose the ones that fit your spring best?

Doing it this way, you can fully degrease / deburr / dress spring ends / polish etc at home without any rush and have all the bits ready for re-assembly.

Idea?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    You'll get the very best "buzz reduction" if you let Nick have your spring, matey. Then he can make the top hat (and guide, if required) to exactly match the spring. Unless you strip it at home - they're really easy to do, hand him the spring at The Bash and, if he brings a small selection there, choose the ones that fit your spring best?

Doing it this way, you can fully degrease / deburr / dress spring ends / polish etc at home without any rush and have all the bits ready for re-assembly.

Idea?
    Yes sir!!! I'll get it done right away!