Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub 12fpe long ranges

Sub 12fpe long ranges

Whats the longest you've all shot then with less than 12fpe?

My clubs longest range taps out at 72 yard with a 40mm kill zone target, which is the furthest I've ever managed to be consistent at.

No real reason for post just interesting to hear about pushing the limits of legal power
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Benchrested with a 5.5x25x50 milldot bushy scope , its 100metres at my local range. One breezeless early morning did 12 hits out of 12 onto a 40mm spinner from my .20rapid and 5 consecutive hits onto a 15mm spinner with my .177 rapid. On windless days I also manage a hit rate of about 2/10 aiming at spent .22 cartridges at 100yards although hit rate falls to about 1/100 if its even a little breezey.

Bb

Coke tin (bottom) @ 107 yds.
    .177 ProSport & .177 HW97.
    From bench.
    Just a slight breeze.
    Not bad for springers.

Plan to try hitting empty cartridges when/if the summer still air arrives.
    Last edited by Sterling; 23-04-2016 at 04:27 PM.

On a really still day at 100 yards myself and a good shooting mate can hit tin cans about 4 out of 5 times. Shooting a tx200 .177 off a bench. Not really up to VHTV accuracy but quite good enough for us.

75 yards

I shoot my 10.5 fpe .177 at a 50mm spinner and hit it quite often from the kneeling position off my bum bag.
    Soda cans are pretty easy at 75 as well.when I get past 80 things seem to fall apart.
    G A Damron V ,the vegatarian varmint destroyer.

Our club put on a mega bench rest shoot a while back. Two ten-shot cards to be shot at 60 yards and one ten-shot card at 80 yards. The comp was spread over five lanes laid out in a fan shape so the orientation to the wind was different for each lane. Competitors drew lots for their first lane, then their next two rounds were on different lanes each time.

Each person had a sighter card and a scoring card. No limit to the number of sighters but you had to put ten shots in the scoring card, in 12 minutes.

Can you believe it, we had just taken on a new member a few weeks beforehand and he hadn't bought his own rifle yet, so I offered to lend him my Airwolf (177 shooting 10.3 grain JSB heavy) and the blighter went and won the competition.

It's fired up a lot of enthusiasm for long range bench rest shooting and we've just completed a four-lane permanent 50 metre facility to meet members' demands.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

With a ds mk3, air ranger, huntsman classic and a couple others in 177 sights set at about 50 yards I normally go one bobble to hit coke cans at 100 yards. Myself I prefer long distance plinking

My prefered mag vs dot ratio expires at 60yds .22 and 80yds .177. My setup allows a hit to a golf ball in winds up to 20mph with pretty much 95% success. No finger in the air just solid data.
    Air Arms S410F Classic .177 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR), Walther Rotex RM8 Black .22 (Hawke Vantage 3-12x50 AO IR), Walther Century .177 (Walther ZF 6x42 AO, BKL one piece mount), Remington Express AR1 .22 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR, BKL one piece mount ss),

Golf ball targets.

I have two chums who learned that golf balls shoot back. Both were very lucky not to catch the retuning pellet in their eyes. Pellets come back from 40yds with enough energy to break skin and draw blood on thick sculls. They now have some interesting scars to show for the experiences.

I shoot my hunting setup at the range a majority of the time. Map6 hawke X7 mag 70-75 yard golf balls are easy meat for a benched S200 . Hit them freestanding from time to time... We have a Quality Street tin at near 80 for standing shots.. I smack that about with my .22 77..

I know of a chap who hit a Stella can at 250yd with sub 12! After seeing a woman do it on YouTube... I've not bothered to look that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post

I know of a chap who hit a Stella can at 250yd with sub 12! After seeing a woman do it on YouTube... I've not bothered to look that one up.
    If you change your mind, I suspect you're looking for username 'cubleycat'.

i only hunt so between 20-30 yards. i dont know meters. thats where my gas and leccy come from.
    did get a rabbit at at nearly a quarter of a mile. me and my mate nearly had heart attacks when it fell over. but i did download chairgun and held over a lot.
    nothing to be proud of but i shot a rabbit twice, or three if it counts. me and my mate were out on our tea break (understand my mukker was a copper) i shot a bunny first shot heard a hit. nothing happened. second shot it went straight down. went and fetched it and found holes through both of its ears. as i say nearly a quarter of a mile.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    i only hunt so between 20-30 yards. i dont know meters. thats where my gas and leccy come from.
    did get a rabbit at at nearly a quarter of a mile. me and my mate nearly had heart attacks when it fell over. but i did download chairgun and held over a lot.
    nothing to be proud of but i shot a rabbit twice, or three if it counts. me and my mate were out on our tea break (understand my mukker was a copper) i shot a bunny first shot heard a hit. nothing happened. second shot it went straight down. went and fetched it and found holes through both of its ears. as i say nearly a quarter of a mile.
    Quite an achievement that. Acording to Chairgun if I was firing a .22 Exact at 15.9gn at just under 12fpe and a normal zero of 30yds I would need to give it 3254in of holdover to hit the rabbit at 400yds ( Chairgun doesn't go above that on my app) and repeat that 3 times. I wouldn't try it though as Chairgun tells me that if I managed to hit the rabbit at all the pellet would only have 0.7ftlb of energy so it's more than likely your rabbit died of fright or old age waiting for the 5secs from firing to impact each time.
    Not to be recommended but amazing shooting and much better hearing than I have to hear the impact of a pellet at a quarter of a mile!
    Dagwood

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    If you change your mind, I suspect you're looking for username 'cubleycat'.
    I randomly stumbled on this thread... I hadn't any notifications you'd replied ...thanks!

While I'm here I've been smacking them golfballs around out to 85 yards today.. with my Prosport..awesome thing! 4 out of 4 at 70 yards.. x10 Mag all shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    I randomly stumbled on this thread... I hadn't any notifications you'd replied ...thanks!

While I'm here I've been smacking them golfballs around out to 85 yards today.. with my Prosport..awesome thing! 4 out of 4 at 70 yards.. x10 Mag all shots.
    If you click 'Settings' on the top right corner.
    Then on the left hand list under:
    My Settings
    My Account
    Click 'General Settings'
    In the main panel you'll see 'Messaging & Notification'.
    Under that is 'Default Thread Subscription Mode:' Where you can change your notifictions.

Yours is currently set to 'Do no subscribe'.

Once you've made any changes, scroll right to the bottom and click 'Save Changes'.

HTH