Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Law Commission Report

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Indeed, I think it is more to do with legal clarification rather than anything else at this stage. I guess a court case where an assault with a (potentially) lethal weapon, as defined by law, is less easy for a defence lawyer to try and diminish. That said, there may as always be the unintended consequence of making any future 'tightening' of the airgun laws easier.
    Talking about unintended consequences, the UK ban of semi-automatic weapons specifically excluded .22 calibre rifles, but not air guns. This was clarified in the guidance document which stated that it was not the government's intention to include air guns in the legislation.

This hasn't stopped certain UK importers now declining to supply semi-automatic match air pistols such the Steyr LP50.

Regards

Brian

I understand the mods here read the regs as semi-auto air is a no-no legality wise, based on a Gun Trade Association (I think it was them) statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    I understand the mods here read the regs as semi-auto air is a no-no legality wise, based on a Gun Trade Association (I think it was them) statement.

This is the present guidance from the GTA, this situation was also confirmed by Mr Adam Lassman of the Home Office :-

7th May 2015. No. 50: FROM THE GUN TRADE ASSOCIATION

There has been continual confusion over the legal status of self-loading and pump action rifled air weapons. We have discussed this at length with the Home Office in order to ensure that the content of this notice reflects their responses to recent queries on the matter.

The cause for confusion seems to be the Home Office Circular (HOC) 68/97 which some individuals and organisations may have incorrectly interpreted. This circular, which is not a legal document, was intended solely as guidance to police to cover the small number of persons then thought to be in possession of such weapons.

The Firearms Act is clear; under section 5(1)(ab) of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended), all self-loading or pump-action rifled guns, other than those which are chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges, are classified as prohibited weapons. There is no exemption for air weapons.

A final point to bear in mind, the penalties for the illegal possession of prohibited weapons can involve mandatory long custodial sentences.'

Last edited by T 20; 01-04-2016 at 06:58 AM.