Thread: "Vintage" Airguns ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

"Vintage" Airguns ?

I'm pretty certain we've covered this previous but at what age/point does an airgun or scope become Vintage ?

Is it related to the point when manufacturing ceases or is there a "time span" after that date ?
    I image "collectable" comes into play at any time, new, old or vintage. Anything can be collected at any time !

Just wondered like.....?
    “An airgun or two”………

Vintage and antique

Generally speaking, most collectors consider an object over 20 years old to be vintage. Antiques are generally thought to be 100 years or older although the term does get used loosely. Classic and retro are other terms that get used frequently. To be a collectable, an item is thought to be sought after and clearly representative of its type and/or era. So yes, an item can be immediately collectable - Ferrari Enzos were collectable the moment they left the factory.

I'd say 80s and earlier would be classable as vintage now. You can hear of other things being 80s vintage, but short of booze you don't hear 90s and vintage in the same sentence much.

Like lots of other words, Vintage is over used (as is Mint). The word was usually accompanied by a date, as in, " this fine wine is Vintage 1936 ". In the motoring world there are specific dates, with Vintage coming between 1918 and 1930 after which it became it Post Vintage.
    I think with everything else it's become a good descriptive word for sellers of old stuff to add some respectability.
    Mel.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I often wonder about the BSA Airsporter which had a production run in all it various Mks.from 1948 to 2000 or thereabouts.
    At what point in that run did it become "Vintage" ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I often wonder about the BSA Airsporter which had a production run in all it various Mks.from 1948 to 2000 or thereabouts.
    At what point in that run did it become "Vintage" ?
    Now that we're talking proper air rifles, I would say that 'classic' is the word.

Mel.

I vote for a system based on cars, but with a change in date for vintage to run up to and including WW2:

Veteran: Pre 1918
    Vintage: 1919-1945
    Classic: 1946-somewhere around 25 years ago.

1980s qualifies as classic, but I am not sure about anything from the 1990s yet. BSA RB2 Stutzen, I suppose. Yes, maybe some, if they are really nice.

Matt

We have to remember also, many of them have been around for a century or more, some would say that they should termed 'antique'
    Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    I vote for a system based on cars, but with a change in date for vintage to run up to and including WW2:

Veteran: Pre 1918
    Vintage: 1919-1945
    Classic: 1946-somewhere around 25 years ago.

1980s qualifies as classic, but I am not sure about anything from the 1990s yet. BSA RB2 Stutzen, I suppose. Yes, maybe some, if they are really nice.

Matt
    For me, vintage is pre-WW2, classic is post WW2. Simples.