Thread: Holts sealed bid auction.

Holts sealed bid auction.

Anybody in the market for some cheap airguns got some very cheap deals at holts sealed bid auction, i have more than enough but i suspect dealers took most of them, not only airguns but shotguns went very cheap,if only i had a shop i could
    have stocked up with a small outlay of cash. Take a look it was 31st of march.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Anybody in the market for some cheap airguns got some very cheap deals at holts sealed bid auction, i have more than enough but i suspect dealers took most of them, not only airguns but shotguns went very cheap,if only i had a shop i could
    have stocked up with a small outlay of cash. Take a look it was 31st of march.
    yep, managed to snag a couple of bargains there myself. And near missed a couple of other items that still went for not that much. Giving the lie a tad to the recent thread on his auctions are no longer a good value place to find airguns.

what have you got

once you add the 25% premium and the VAT on that and shipping or collection I'm not sure I see many out and out bargains.

I snagged one thing I was after at a hammer price that would look pretty good, but once you add the premium and tax it comes to about the price I'd seen advertised elsewhere. (which is how I calculated the bid)

I bid on several but only got one rifle and one pistol this time. Neither are really bargains, especially if I drive up from Kent to collect. I must say I prefer conventional auctions over sealed bid. Whenever you win a lot on the latter, you immediately wonder if you bid too high!

bid

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I bid on several but only got one rifle and one pistol this time. Neither are really bargains, especially if I drive up from Kent to collect. I must say I prefer conventional auctions over sealed bid. Whenever you win a lot on the latter, you immediately wonder if you bid too high!
    I agree with your logic, i bought a gun in last sealed bid auction i bid high because i did not want to loose it, but if i had bid
    £90 lower i would still have won it.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I agree with your logic, i bought a gun in last sealed bid auction i bid high because i did not want to loose it, but if i had bid
    £90 lower i would still have won it.
    But you didnt know that at the time.

The sealed bid auction is a very clever format for the auction houses, as it can be run with the minimum of outlay, and it "encourages" everyone to bid to their very top price. So, if only two people bid on a given item, one person bid £5.00, and the next person bid £40.00, the winner pays the full £40.00 plus fee's. Then has the additional cost of a collection from Norfolk.

Lakey

sealed bid

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post

The sealed bid auction is a very clever format for the auction houses, as it can be run with the minimum of outlay, and it "encourages" everyone to bid to their very top price. So, if only two people bid on a given item, one person bid £5.00, and the next person bid £40.00, the winner pays the full £40.00 plus fee's. Then has the additional cost of a collection from Norfolk.

Lakey
    Quite right.

Lakey
    Yes, and if you understand that you take it into account. And can still get the odd bargain.

I went to the view on 15.03.16 ...

... as I had put a view on the main auction (17.03.16) - I am such a high roller they gave me fizzy wine. I had a look at the sealed auction stuff in a separate room. Half of the stuff was merely too cheap for proper auction, the other half Utter kr*p. Caveat emptor.
    Only buy this way if you know what you are buying and know about auctions.
    You can get rid of shyte at an auction and at Holt's the buyer pays!

Lakey
    For sure - there was a beautiful collection of pre-war german Mauser and Walther .22 rimfires in the sealed bids auction - probably all from the same source. The prices varied from under a £100 to over £500 on seemingly identical condition rifles :-)
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."