Thread: BSA Foresights

BSA Foresights

Just looking through my copy of The book of the BSA Air Rifle, and wondered about the various foresight options they had available.
    A quick look at a few of mine showed that most are the "normal" bead type, but I do have what I would assume is a Barleycorn style.

I was wondering how common are the others that are illustrated such as the Diamond, Blade or Buckhorn?

And does anyone have an ivory fronted version? I expect they were few and far between.

Of course there are the rear sight elements i haven't even got into looking at those yet such as the Curved Notch Backsight.

regards,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Just looking through my copy of The book of the BSA Air Rifle, and wondered about the various foresight options they had available.
    A quick look at a few of mine showed that most are the "normal" bead type, but I do have what I would assume is a Barleycorn style.

I was wondering how common are the others that are illustrated such as the Diamond, Blade or Buckhorn?

And does anyone have an ivory fronted version? I expect they were few and far between.

Of course there are the rear sight elements i haven't even got into looking at those yet such as the Curved Notch Backsight.

regards,

Lee
    I wish! But i do know of one such fore sight on a cased No.2 bore imp model d and its sat on the possibly rarer "stool" also mentioned in the book. At my age ive only ever seen the one though, so yes "few and far between" covers it.
    eric

sights

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post

regards,

Lee
    When you say barlycorn would i describe them as a post and bead foresight.

cut and paste

Bead and barleycorn are two of Bsa's own descriptives!
    see here page 9 http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...gs%29+-+Sights
    eric

Thats the babies

I've got in improved model d, with the diamond foresight - the only one I've come across in the real world. Seen others on the web though. Its a very fragile sight and I wouldn't imagine many stood the test of time, undamaged. The rifle had seen very little use and was in a wooden case fortunately.
    The ring foresight is another rare one, wonder how it was to shoot ?
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I've got in improved model d, with the diamond foresight - the only one I've come across in the real world. Seen others on the web though. Its a very fragile sight and I wouldn't imagine many stood the test of time, undamaged. The rifle had seen very little use and was in a wooden case fortunately.
    The ring foresight is another rare one, wonder how it was to shoot ?
    I believe John has a gun with an original ring foresight and says it is brilliant in conjunction with an aperture for bell target. I have a replica I made to fit on the blade of a BSA 20B unit as I prefer a barleycorn / ring combo.

Obviously any of these patterns can be made from a damaged existing unit with a file and a welder

ATB, ED

Yes I have a ring in place of the standard bead and it is a dinky little sight.

I used it in conjunction with an aperture sight in a vintage shoot once and as it was a bright day, I could almost choose which part of the kill I could place the pellet. In fact, I felt the sight gave me such an advantage over others that I have never competed with it since. Having just a shadowy ring around your intended point of impact works really well and I'll have to take her out again for a shoot one of these days.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.