Thread: 32-40 brass who has it?

32-40 brass who has it?

Anyone know of a uk supplier of 32-40 brass?

Thanks Dougie

You've picked a right one there, decent 32-40 brass is like the proverbial RHS!
    If all else fails, you can always neck down 30-30 brass, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Half MOA View Post
    You've picked a right one there, decent 32-40 brass is like the proverbial RHS!
    If all else fails, you can always neck down 30-30 brass, good luck.
    haven't bought or applied for variation yet!!
    thought I'd put feelers out to see if it is available, it appears so far that I'm looking for the Holy Grail 😧

Kranks would be my first enquiry but it looks as if it is out of stock, give them a ring and see if they can source some for you.
    Midway UK is no more, but Midway USA or Brownells may have some or be able to get it.
    Why 32-40 Cal. out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Half MOA View Post
    Kranks would be my first enquiry but it looks as if it is out of stock, give them a ring and see if they can source some for you.
    Midway UK is no more, but Midway USA or Brownells may have some or be able to get it.
    Why 32-40 Cal. out of interest?
    Guy at my club selling a Winchester John Wayne Ltd Edition in 32-40

Good luck on getting any US supplier to send you cases.

Try Trade-Ex - Canada has no ITAR restrictions.

T.E.C. Trade Ex Canada Inc

1460 Main Street East

Hawkesbury, Ontario

K6A 1C7

Canada

TOLL FREE: 1-866-635-2829

Tel: 613-632-4848

FAX: 613-632-4843

Email: tradeex@bellnet.ca

tac

Winchester make this as a limited run.
    I believe the last run was about 20 years ago.
    As said its very easy to make out of 30-30 brass which is only about 2mm shorter.
    I have some 32-40 cases and formed 30-30 brass along with an as new RCBS cowboy die set I may part with.
    I also have a custom mould for a gas check bullet.
    Tony

I heard that Winchester has discontinued 32-40 Brass indefinitely. I have been using 38-55 Starline converted lately.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Looking at the Ballistics on the "Chuck Hawks" page, it would make a nice cartridge for muntjac stalking.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/32-40Win.htm
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

32-40 brass

I tried reforming 30-30 and 38-55 brass and was quite happy with the results; I then used 32 Win special brass and it was a much more controlled conversion, with less work hardening of the necks. Strangely, I found 50 brand-new 32-40 Winchester brass on a Czechoslovakian website a few months ago and bought them online. I think they were the last ones in captivity!

neck down

Another vote for necking down .30-30

That's what I do, works brilliantly.

I also tried .38-55, which technically shouldn't fit because the base rims are supposed to be thicker, but seems the Starline stuff (got it from Henry Cranks) has the same base rim thickness as the .30-30 Winchester brass I have.

.30-30 is much easier to neck down.. I heat neck with blow torch until cherry red, quench in cold water, dry, spray on the case lube, then neck the case down gradually over 6 to 8 passes in the press.

Interestingly, although the .38-55 result in correct length cartridges, its the shorter at the neck .30-30's which by far work best for me.

I use 19 grns of Lovex D060 (formally Accurate 5744) in mine (which is overloading the recommendations for .32-40 so at your own risk if you do the same!), and it produces lovely tight groups even at 200 yrds.

I found the lower powder charges (14 - 16 grns) just didn't give the lead, copper gas checked, bullets i use enough of a push to get them down the rifling properly, resulting in "tumblers" and massive loss of accuracy (sometimes groups over 30 cm or more!).

This is of course the experience with just my rifle, yours may be different. Start low and work your way up the loads.

Absolutely cracking guns and cal. when they go right. Enjoy!

32-40 brass

I shoot a 1906 Marlin model 1893 in 32/40 and managed to acquire 50 Winchester cases. They have proved to be poor quality even with the light loads which I use in the antique Marlin. I found that resized 30/30 cases lasted much longer before splitting...just have to find the right cast bullet with the crimp groove in the correct place to compensate for the 1mm shorter case length. I use plenty of lube, resize the 30/30 case with a lee 32/40 die in three easy stages...I then resize the neck with a lyman M die in 32 size. 32 win special are a better bet but 32 special cases are also hard to find!

I find that the 1/16 twist on the Marlin is good to about 180 gn,anything much heavier tends to emerge sideways! Tried some copper plated 170 gn....gun did not like them...oversize cast at .323 seem to be better.

amc577

Pre-WW1 Marlins tend to be "over-bored".

.30-30 brass is the way forward.

Nearly forgot

Coat the bullets in Lee alox coating. Makes a massive difference

I don't think sizing 30-30 brass down is correct!
    Neck up 30-30 brass with a 32 cal m die and fire form with a bullet.
    No annealing required.
    Surely 308 needs expanding to fit a 323 cal bullet?