Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Tin Prices

Pellet Tin Prices

As one who has paid high prices for pellet packaging in the past, I shouldn't really comment but even I was flabbergasted at the price this 1950s tin of 200 Wasps fetched on that site.
    Item no. 152038429865

These tins are usually red, not yellow but I'm sure I can see traces of what appears to be red paint when I look closely.

If the yellow is bleached red, then someone may have overpaid somewhat

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

p/tins

Iput a bid in for the wasp tin but like John iwas taken aback at the £131.99, in my opinion silly price paid, i also put in sensible bid on the RWS. empty tin of which i have a number £17.55.i have plenty of RWS wadcutter pellets and thought i
    could refill said tin,but to no avail.i wonder if any body on bbs site splashed out on them.
    Roly.

webley box.

Also keep an eye on item 1419493255262. Webley rough pistol box.

edbear2 Guest
    I too have been aghast..especially at the 4 rusty wasp tins, no matter if the pellets were clean; 111942056881 The same seller must have thought Christmas had come early as he had 4 earlier .177 tins that made £70 odd too!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the ''yellow'' tin is just an ordinary 1950's £7-15 value tin that has seen too much sun, it has probably been in a shed window...I have seen them exacly half faded to yellow (the layer underneath the red that the wasp body is printed from) but never such an evenly faded example as this, but this effect with red tins is quite common to see albiet not as extreme.It only happens to red tins from this period as red is susceptable to something in the spectrum of sunlight and you see the same degradation with some older red cars. The yellow and black layers of ink seem to be unaffected.

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 05-04-2016 at 11:55 AM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    As one who has paid high prices for pellet packaging in the past, I shouldn't really comment but even I was flabbergasted at the price this 1950s tin of 200 Wasps fetched on that site.
    Item no. 152038429865

These tins are usually red, not yellow but I'm sure I can see traces of what appears to be red paint when I look closely.

If the yellow is bleached red, then someone may have overpaid somewhat

John
    It was John, sun bleached I am 110% sure John, the 1960's Pylarm tins with the Yellow box at the base were very prone to this too...I have a well faded one somewhere, will dig it out. I have even seen these tins for sale as ''rare'' yellow variants!

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 05-04-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    It was John, sun bleached I am 110% sure John, the 1960's Pylarm tins with the Yellow box at the base were very prone to this too...I have a well faded one somewhere, will dig it out. I have even seen these tins for sale as ''rare'' yellow variants!

ATB, Ed
    Nice to know you agree with my initial synopsis Ed. The traces of red around the edges was the give-away.

I was the under bidder on the RWS tin and probably bid more than I should have. However, it was a nice clean example that I had a use for and certainly the more desirable of the pair.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

So, I have found a red wasp tin in177, full.
    Any dea of a fair price please.?
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    So, I have found a red wasp tin in177, full.
    Any dea of a fair price please.?
    You'll need a picture.

If you mean the last varient, £5 to £10 I guess.

There's no way I'd pay anything like £100 and whatever for a tin of Wasps, even if they were a one off which it seems they weren't

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post

There's no way I'd pay anything like £100 and whatever for a tin of Wasps, even if they were a one off which it seems they weren't
    I agree. I've paid a premium for a tin of 1000 .177 Wasps and seen two pre war tins of 100 .22 Wasps reach 3 figures but could not justify paying (for a rare example) anywhere near the price this dubious tin realised.

John

It's an older tin John, and it's 500 and full, tin in tidy condition.
    Also a blue tin in .22 original with contents,
    Hoping to get down to Melbourne ?so will fetch with me,
    Reg. John
    snarepeg.

Yes, bleached, I agree. The red remains in the sheltered area around the rim. A bit ironic that a tin coated by the paint manufacturer ICI should fade so badly, but it was a long time ago, I suppose!

Now, must dig out those old Wasp tins and put them out in the sun...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Yes, bleached, I agree. The red remains in the sheltered area around the rim. A bit ironic that a tin coated by the paint manufacturer ICI should fade so badly, but it was a long time ago, I suppose!

Now, must dig out those old Wasp tins and put them out in the sun...
    Too late mate, I have been down the tanning salon all day long.....

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Too late mate, I have been down the tanning salon all day long.....

ATB, Ed
    Ed, please tell me you haven't got pellet tin-shaped white critical bits. I shall be trying not to think about that all night.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

What an amazing collection. I have some and used to own others but there are plenty I don't own but would like to!

How many thousands is a collection like this worth, I wonder?

John