Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentleman, I think I'm done

Gentleman, I think I'm done

Finally settled on a load for the 223 after investing a small fortune in reloading gear and a substantial amount of time developing various loads (did someone say reloading was cheaper? )

The load I've settled on, not that its of any consequence, is 53gr V-Max with a COAL of 2.285 using 22.8gr of Vhit 133 and CCI BR primers. I nearly left these bullets for dead until I looked back at some old targets and thought they showed potential. It seems seating depth was the magic ingredient here.

Just shot a couple of 175 yard groups under 0.45" which I think will do for me. Probably couldn't improve on that if I wanted to.

Quite chuffed with myself. Now I can load up a batch and start practicing on some long range targets

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

a 223 that's the same as driving a bloody vw Passat

nice to hear that you have found something that works very well.i myself am just starting on the same journey and hope to develope a load that works just aswell with my combo.have all the bits i need apart from a case trimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Finally settled on a load for the 223 after investing a small fortune in reloading gear and a substantial amount of time developing various loads (did someone say reloading was cheaper? )

The load I've settled on, not that its of any consequence, is 53gr V-Max with a COAL of 2.285 using 22.8gr of Vhit 133 and CCI BR primers. I nearly left these bullets for dead until I looked back at some old targets and thought they showed potential. It seems seating depth was the magic ingredient here.

Just shot a couple of 175 yard groups under 0.45" which I think will do for me. Probably couldn't improve on that if I wanted to.

Quite chuffed with myself. Now I can load up a batch and start practicing on some long range targets
    Out of interest what sort of bullet jump / leed have you got
    ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Out of interest what sort of bullet jump / leed have you got
    ATB
    James
    The 53gr V-Max are touching the lands with a COAL of 2.295" so essentially 0.010" jump. Tried them at 2.295 and the group wasn't as good at all so they like a small jump

Quote Originally Posted by ZaksGod View Post
    nice to hear that you have found something that works very well.i myself am just starting on the same journey and hope to develope a load that works just aswell with my combo.have all the bits i need apart from a case trimmer
    Good luck, it can be quite frustrating! I'm after a decent trimmer too at the moment

It seems seating depth was the magic ingredient here.
    Can I point you back to my reply to your first post all those weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    No one likes an I told you so . . . . . . . . how very right you were.

Well done Elliot
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    a 223 that's the same as driving a bloody vw Passat
    I had a very nice Passat which finally went to the auction with 220000 miles on the clock. Excellent car!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Yeah thanks for that, I'm still learning!

Off the back of this I popped to Malmo's this afternoon and bought a Hornady Camlock Case Trimmer and Hornady Beam Scale. Decided to improve concentricity when trimming my cases and shelve the electric scales that came with my Lock N Load reloading kit.

Also picked up some more 53gr V-Max and x50 52gr 22LR Winchester ammo just for the crack

Off the back of this I popped to Malmo's this afternoon and bought a Hornady Camlock Case Trimmer and Hornady Beam Scale. Decided to improve concentricity when trimming my cases and shelve the electric scales that came with my Lock N Load reloading kit.

Also picked up some more 53gr V-Max and x50 52gr 22LR Winchester ammo just for the crack

I don't reckon they'll crack, sound decidedly subsonic to me
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    [/B]

I don't reckon they'll crack, sound decidedly subsonic to me
    With any luck they'll be ok although I only bought them because they'd run out if Eley subs

Glad you got there in the end. I know you were getting a little frustrated but it was worth it in the end.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    Glad you got there in the end. I know you were getting a little frustrated but it was worth it in the end.
    Yes, perseverance is the key lesson here

Do you mean 42g winnies or am I missing something? My 1417 annie loves winnies and hated Eley.....strange world isn't it