Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 22 pellets for accuracy

Which 22 pellets for accuracy

Do different styles and weights of pellets affect the accuracy greatly. What pellets are most popular for target shooting?
    Last edited by orcecaveman; 13-04-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Jsb exact heavy is probably the most common long range pellet in .22. Most guns can throw them at 880+fps and they give good accuracy with decent bc.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

depends

Whilst quality pellets will normally shoot better than cheapo ones , it depends on each guns barrels , go on e bay and buy plenty of different pellet tester kits ( you get either 25 or 50 of each make) your gun what ever it is will usually have a pellet it prefers/shoots really well with and the difference between a well suited make and poorly suited pellet/ make can make a huge difference to accuracy. Buy a load of tester packs and find the best one for your gun.

Thanks guys. Looks like its going to be trial and error then.....

Quote Originally Posted by orcecaveman View Post
    Thanks guys. Looks like its going to be trial and error then.....
    I'd also give the new 33.96 grain JSB Beast a go if your gun can push them to decent speed. There have been some rather promising reports of that pellet. The best .22 100M groups I've seen so far have been shot with JSB Heavies.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor
    Bisley Magnum - great accuracy and consistency.

Ive got some Bisley Magnums. Going to give them a try.......

This

I use this , no matter what pellets I've tested It always decreases group size.

Napier Air Pellet Power Lube increase accuracy by 50%
    by Solware Ltd

And no I'm not affiliated !!!
    Brocock/ ss .22 sidewinder .22 aa s400 .177 webley .177 Russian sidelever 6 shot thingy, .177 multishot CO2 pistol, old BSA .22 Pistol That I learned to pistol shoot on, .22 Spanish Rifle ASI Rangemaster , Gat Gun somewhere ,177 sp100 , BSA .177 pre war rifle .

Quote Originally Posted by orcecaveman View Post
    Do different styles and weights of pellets affect the accuracy greatly. What pellets are most popular for target shooting?
    Diablo or Roundhead are more accurate.

Which .22 pellets for accuracy?

Air arms 4.50mm
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

accurate .22

The most likely are JSB exact jumbo 5.52 or H & N field target trophy 5.53 I prefer the H & N as they have thicker skirts and marginally out perform the JSB which are very delicate due the much thinner skirts. These pellets are the best in the 7 rifles I have owned.
    mk2 rapid.22

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    I'd also give the new 33.96 grain JSB Beast a go if your gun can push them to decent speed. There have been some rather promising reports of that pellet. The best .22 100M groups I've seen so far have been shot with JSB Heavies.
    Remember you are addressing a UK based audience and the OP says nothing about his being an FAC rated rifle so the JSB Beast will be far too heavy.
    My recommendation for UK legal limit is to test between Crosman Accupells (14.3 grain) JSB Exact (15.9 grain) and H & N FTT (14.7 grain). In my view whilst buying a load of test bags may be the perfect answer in an ideal world, the OP should be able to go straight to a shortlist of the most likely pellets which will suit his rifle based on the collective experience on this forum.
    For FAC use I have never found anything better than the Bisley Magnum aka Baracuda which at 21 grain is hard hitting and usually accurate in all FAC rifles but I would keep the MV below 900 ft sec for best results. I have tried others which work well but are all stupidly expensive by which I mean an air rifle pellet costs more than an entire .22LR round from an established manufacturer. This to me is crazy but others are free to differ as always.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Nick,
    I think you have taught me something tonight. I bought some accupell ft recently and they have been truly awful in everything so far. Your post made me wonder if accupell and accupell ft are one and the same. It appears not! Please don't anyone else make the same mistake.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Turriking View Post
    I use this , no matter what pellets I've tested It always decreases group size.

Napier Air Pellet Power Lube increase accuracy by 50%
    by Solware Ltd

And no I'm not affiliated !!!
    Again evidence that there is no one answer. I used this after cleaning pellets to stop them oxidising; did not see any improvement compared to either ‘out-of-the-tin’ or ‘cleaned’. What has happened, after a number of months, is the lube has gone sticky, it will need washing off again.

.22 pellets

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Again evidence that there is no one answer. I used this after cleaning pellets to stop them oxidising; did not see any improvement compared to either ‘out-of-the-tin’ or ‘cleaned’. What has happened, after a number of months, is the lube has gone sticky, it will need washing off again.
    Don't forget jsb express 14.35g,falcon accuracy plus 13.4g\jsb rs 13.4g,webley accupells 14.3g.All these give a flat tradjectory in 12fpe and are very accurate subject to the individual barrel of course.