Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer ? 200yds possible ???

Springer ? 200yds possible ???

Change of plan.
    PCP has to be sold.
    I've got a HW80 in 22.
    Doing long distance just for fun keeping everything as Std & basic as possible.
    It's been a long time since I last shot a springer but I'm good for at least 40mm groups with RWS SuperDomes @ 20yds.
    All I've done is got a scope zero'd & had a plink session.
    Question, how do you shoot a springer for long distance ???
    My thoughts are prone off a bag.
    Not bothered if it shoots a different POI useing different methods.
    It's a not used but don't want to sell rifle so It'll be good to get some use out of it.
    It's in need of a service to smooth things out & the parts I have allready.
    All the long distance stuff seems to be shot with a PCP so what distance can a basic springer set up shoot out to ???
    I assume 100yds, talking tin can target size.
    If memory serves me correct I struggled big time at 50yds before going PCP's.
    My capability hasn't changed but clearer scopes sway things in my favour perhaps.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I guess there are 2 aspects to it.

1. Consistency of the rifle, the wider the range on the chrono the wider the groups are going to get and at long range it would quickly become unusable

2. Repeatability of the shot. A front and back bag would be a good start, i'm sure i've heard of some people putting weight over the rifle too to minimise movement.
    Not sent from an iPhone.

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.
    If my maths are correct , which i doubt

A .22 with a 30yd zero will require approx 26ft of holdover at that range

energy left will be around 1 ft/lb (Would it move a can)

a 5mph crosswind will push you around 6ft off target

A barn door may be a good backstop

Good luck, i'm sure it can be done with practice
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

Er, sounds like the answers really should be don't be daft.
    Thanks.
    Expectations of 100yds miight be too high then ?
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Today at the range we had a bit of a long range target session ie 4 coke cans out at 101yds by rangefinder. My Stalker (.22) is zeroed at 35yds using an MTC Viper 10x44 and a hundred yard shot is very slightly off the scope at the bottom so I only ha sn occasional hit. The guy to my right was hitting them every other shot with his HW100 (.22) and the guy to the left was hitting them almost as frequently with his Pro Sport (.22), so it is posible with a springer. The guy on the right took all his shots standing, I kid you not, he only shoots standing up the club. The guy on the left not to be left out also hit the cans standing a couple of times. Springers in .22 can do the business in the right hands, but 200 yds I think would be beyond all expectations.

Rod

PS Airgun + 30 yd zero + 16grn AA Field + 11.5 fpe = 49.5" holdover at 100 yds or 28 ft at 200 yds according to Chairgun
    Last edited by Rodd; 20-09-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Additional info.

if it can be done with a PCP it can be done with a springer just takes a little more skill/practice and only use chairgun as a guide its only a computer program and gives the information that was put into it , like a flight simulator no pilot has ever earned his wings on one they give him a good idea what its like but there is no substitute for the real world
    get out there try different things you have nothing to loose but when you get it right then you have the satisfaction of knowing you can do it
    yes its easier with a .177 PCP but it can and has been done with a .22 springer

best of luck Andy
    Gamo Phox .22
    BSA Lightning SE GRT .22
    tuned XS78 .22

Before I strip & service I'm going to take it down my local powder burning range.
    115yds available & much easier than lumping gear over to the farm, I can use the clubs air gun knock downs as well.
    Daft or sensible plan ?
    Plink & try a few different pellets (I've got about 5 different ones) @ say 20yds & get the scope set so I'm useing the top part of the x hair @ 20yds.
    Put some cans on the bank & just see what happens.
    That's the best I can think of for a bit of fun shooting just to try, question is, what position to use ?
    Sat on the floor & just lay the rifle across my left arm ? (RH shooting)
    Just let it jump about as It wants to or do I need to hold it.
    I'll be there for an hour or two so a lot of cocking won't do my arms any favours by the time I get to try the long stuff.
    This will be more like finding aim points & just testing the water.
    Stuck for springer shooting positions, I don't target shoot normaly, more like plinking upto now.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
    The guy to my right was hitting them every other shot with his HW100 (.22) and the guy to the left was hitting them almost as frequently with his Pro Sport (.22), so it is posible with a springer. The guy on the right took all his shots standing, I kid you not, he only shoots standing up the club. The guy on the left not to be left out also hit the cans standing a couple of times. Springers in .22 can do the business in the right hands, but 200 yds I think would be beyond all expectations.

Rod
    Yep, 100yd shots are possible with a springer, it was me behind the trigger of the Prosport down at the SDFTC ground. Given the consistency off my shots of the bench I don't doubt this can be extended.

200yds with a springer ?????, we'll all have to put a fiver in a hat Rodd, and if Mr HW100 hits it, it doesnt count, spring guns only and besides, his ability to shoot standing is far too clever by half so he's disqualified before we start .

Go with whatever shooting position you feel most comfortable with Bellycrawler, just remember a light supportive hold will work best with a springer, don't try to rest it or lock it in a vice like grip.
    Last edited by Switchblade; 23-09-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post

Go with whatever shooting position you feel most comfortable with Bellycrawler, just remember a light supportive hold will work best with a springer, don't try to rest it or lock it in a vice like grip.
    Out of curiousity I shot it yesterday just resting on my open hand to see what would happen.
    I've now found something else not to repeat.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
    Yep, 100yd shots are possible with a springer, it was me behind the trigger of the Prosport down at the SDFTC ground. Given the consistency off my shots of the bench I don't doubt this can be extended.

200yds with a springer ?????, we'll all have to put a fiver in a hat Rodd, and if Mr HW100 hits it, it doesnt count, spring guns only and besides, his ability to shoot standing is far too clever by half so he's disqualified before we start .

Looks like I'll have to take that sr12 scope off my HW100 and ask my mate if I can use it on his old HW80 springer. I'm up for some of those fivers lol.

Other club members rangefinder came out after you left, set the cans out at bang on 100yds.

Kept hitting one can, knocking it a little further up the field each time.
    I ran out of aiming points at 106 yds and had to start winding down the mag on the scope. Didnt help that the wind was really pushing the pellets down today.

We measured out to the brow of the hill with the range finder, only 168yds

Do 'gas rams' count ?, my HW90K will have to come out.

How you getting on Bellycrawler ?.

Not been to the range yet.
    Can't use the farm as they are ploughing - seeding ect.
    I have been trying different positions while short range plinking.
    The rifle sure does jump about compared to a PCP.
    If I use it rested (not held) I can't see the pellet strike therefore I'll have no idea of aim points at any sort of distance.
    I really do need to try it first at the range, the bank will make it so much easier to spot where the pellet is landing.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

when you said you shot off your open hand, there is an alternative try shooting off the top of your fist, rest your fist on the table/bench etc and rest the rifle on top , you can use your thumb for lateral support and often a glove is beneficial!
    by doing this you reduce considerably the muzzle flip caused by the rifle bouncing off any solid rest, you must also ensure the butt or bottom of the pistol grip is not in contact with anything!

we have an L shaped shooting bench at our range so that your right elbow is supported too, using this bench and shooting off the top of my fist I can get a sub 30mm five shot group with my HW98 at 102yds , provided that is the wind cooperates!

The fist idea sounds good, I've done similar with the rimmy & PCP's.
    The open palm (hand) was done sitting, just rested it on my open palm to see what would happen, boing.
    Decided to definately take it to my local range.
    In a few minutes I'll be able to see how much the pellet drops just shooting towards the bank backstop & watching the dirt kick up to give me a starter.
    From finding out the aim point first I can get it over the farm & target shoot to see what happens.
    Just hope it doesn't drop below my view at the the bottom of the scope sight picture.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I have more experience with rimfire than airgun but I have a hw100 .22 and find this story of this guy hitting a can freestanding at 100 yards a bit far fetched