Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee "Perfect" Powder Measure - suggestions for a reliable alternative please?

Try not to wear ladies nylon knickers whilst reloading. Cotton is so much better
    I use a lee and don't have static issues could you ground it some how
    BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Keep the LEE and buy a target master trickler. Throw about 1.5 grains light pop on scale and hit the red button. Job jobbed, exactly the same charge every time and far faster than the electronic powder dospencers that cost hundreds

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post
    Try not to wear ladies nylon knickers whilst reloading. Cotton is so much better
    I use a lee and don't have static issues could you ground it some how
    BBF
    I had considered going into great detail regarding the issues of nylon underwear but just KNEW that someone else would be along Should I stop wearing the knickers over my face?

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    Keep the LEE and buy a target master trickler. Throw about 1.5 grains light pop on scale and hit the red button. Job jobbed, exactly the same charge every time and far faster than the electronic powder dospencers that cost hundreds
    Thanks Danny - I looked into this a while ago. Unfortunately it's not suitable for use with the Lee scale

Then I'd also suggest finding a second hand set of beam scales such as a 505 or similar. The Lee scales are from memory a pain as they aren't terribly well dampened and so slow you down as they take an age to settle. And I have nothing against Lee I use their kit almost exclusively. Honestly a nice beam scale and a target master and your set for years and years of accurate re loading

Then I'd also suggest finding a second hand set of beam scales such as a 505 or similar. The Lee scales are from memory a pain as they aren't terribly well dampened and so slow you down as they take an age to settle. And I have nothing against Lee I use their kit almost exclusively. Honestly a nice beam scale and a target master and your set for years and years of accurate re loading
    OK - I'll get on the case!

I'll keep an eye out for a set of scales bud. I now use a set of Ohus made Dillon scales which are really nice but any set of quality beam scales are the way forward. And second hand they don't cost the earth

I'm sure you can get a spray that reduces static. It used on large tv and monitors.

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I've used a Lee Perfect for years and found the consistency is down to technique.
    I put the lever to the top, allow a pause for the powder to fall into the charge chamber and then give the drum pivot screw three sharp taps with the end of my finger. Throw the charge straight into the case, and then, with the case still under the spout, give the pivot screw another three taps to clear any kernels that may be clinging to the plastic inside.
    This gives me very consistent results in the region of .1 or .2 of a grain. I then check weigh every 5th charge (purely for my own peace of mind). The ammo is certainly accurate enough for service rifle shooting.
    For stalking ammo I still throw and trickle every charge.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Mix some old powder with graphite powder 75/25 then fill the hopper and run it through the measure a couple of times and save the mix for future use.
    This will prevent static build up and lubricate the drum.
    If the problem comes back in the future repeat the process.

Danny, thanks to both you and Scott for the heads-up on the 5-0-5 scales. I have them here now and find them considerably more useful/less fiddly than the Lee scales. A Target Master is on order too - should arrive next week whereupon I shall hopefully enjoy an improvement in consistency/repeatability of loads.

Having said that, however, my non-trickled, non-individually-weighed "Lee" loads have been giving MV spreads of 40fps which I didn't think was too bad.

No problem buddy top tip for the target master. If you have an iPhone or similar smart phone get a magnifying glass app and a little tripod to hold your phone and use that as your visual check on the TM. It will remove any paralax error and is far easier to see