Good morning. Over the past four years I've reloaded some 2700 rounds (.223/.308/8mm if it's of any consequence) using the Lee powder thrower, scales etc. Until recently the Lee powder measure has been fine and I gave up checking the weight of every tenth charge on the basis that a "duff" charge could have been thrown at any stage and because the measure had been very consistent.

I took the Lee claim that "Most powders will be dispensed in such uniform charges that you will think your scale is stuck" with the proverbial pinch of salt, but to be fair it wasn't at all bad - perhaps +/- 0.1 grain when new. This was fine for me, as I was not wishing to spend hours on end trickling tiny amounts to get the weight exact.

The other comment "Extruded powders, such as most IMR powders, work just fine. They do not meter quite as well, but you can expect charges more uniform than possible with any other measure" was also noted and an appropriate "BS Factor" assigned.

I'm about to load up another 300 and was setting up the measure but found it to be very inconsistent at +/- 0.4 grain over ten or more throws.

Taken apart and cleaned, but no improvement. Consistent operation makes no difference. There's a little bit of wear in the opening in the conical section where powder has occasionally jammed/been cut, but operation remains smooth.

Setting aside any prejudiced comments like "what do you expect, you get what you pay for, Lee is just cheap shite", could some of you experienced reloaders please suggest a powder measure which might operate more consistently with extruded powders such as N133 and N140?

I really don't wish to faff around trickling for hours on end, and I don't have ready access to a range which will enable me to see whether the variation in loads will make a great deal of difference. It probably wouldn't for me.

Only shooting a bog-standard Rem 700 and a Sako 85, both of which have long chambers so loading is to standard length (i.e. not trying to get "x" thou' off the lands etc) and I'm happy with accuracy so far.

So - after all the woffle, what might you guys recommend as a cost-effective alternative to the Lee "not-quite-so-perfect-as-it-was-when-I-bought-it" Powder measure?

Thanks!