Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diana/Mauser K98

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Diana/Mauser K98

I've seen a couple of threads about these and they certainly split opinion, I think they look cool but daft and not very accurate in design. Its based on the Diana 460 action with a stroke longer than a small car and as such is hopelessly unsuitable for the UK market.

So I just ordered one.

Anyone got any ideas what optics I should put on it?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I've seen a couple of threads about these and they certainly split opinion, I think they look cool but daft and not very accurate in design. Its based on the Diana 460 action with a stroke longer than a small car and as such is hopelessly unsuitable for the UK market.

So I just ordered one.

I'd stick with the opens for the sake of originality. If you must have optics, you could look for something that matches a wartime scope or adapt a ZF41 to fit, which was a bit like the Webley Telescan.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    thanks Nick, I was waiting for some mug to pay the new (albeit EU) price, decide it was crap, and sell it on to me cheap - let me know yeah ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I suspect original scopes are pretty pricy.

An older Kahles/Swaro/etc in 4x32 or similar in high mounts might be nice, similar to the various WW2 originals (Henstoldt, Kahles etc), and not exorbitant if you shop around - 200 or less (and would have 100% resale value if/when you got bored). Or rig up a ZF41 style set-up with a pistol scope (or, better, a Leupold Scout scope).

Me, I think I'd keep the irons. Ideally I'd replace the rear sight with a range-graduated arrangement marked from 100 to some silly distance like 1200m.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

So I just ordered one.

OOoo.., nice !

K98's were coupled with various Zeiss optics, Hensoldt or Kahles but I'd be looking for a Pecar, Lisenfeld or even an older Zeiss and not too large a diameter.
    Failing that and I'm sort of fancying one of these myself, a nice peice of period Japanese glass but nothing hi-tech or flash !
    “An airgun or two”………

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    thanks Nick, I was waiting for some mug to pay the new (albeit EU) price, decide it was crap, and sell it on to me cheap - let me know yeah ?
    Well if we're in that game, can I be third in line after you chaps have done your tuner thing and made it shoot like a Venom Lazerglide?

Bayonet mount would be nice... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post

Cheeky!

I'm thinking a 77 spring and guide kit to bring it up to power with maybe a 30mm short stroke extension!!

Whats the piston diameter in these?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Well if we're in that game, can I be third in line after you chaps have done your tuner thing and made it shoot like a Venom Lazerglide?

Bayonet mount would be nice... :-)
    CraigP beat you all to it on that score, but it looks kinda quirky and that appeals to me.

As for the bayonet, plans are afoot.

John and John, I will probably keep it on opens as the lines are clean. If I see something suitable at an antiques fair then I may be tempted. The ZF39 and 41 both look good.

Cheers mate
    I've got a bayonet already sorted for it too (carving knife and some packing tape)
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

CraigP beat you all to it on that score, but it looks kinda quirky and that appeals to me.

Excellent!

I know I should not really quite like this thing, but sadly I do. It's silly in a good way. Wish they'd do an M1 Garand based on the 48/52 next. Yanks would buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Cheers mate
    I've got a bayonet already sorted for it too (carving knife and some packing tape)

Dammit! My secrets out!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I'm not familiar with the k98 but I know almost every component of the 460 action in detail and cant really find any faults except the plastic front sight unit and that can be moded to be satisfactory, but your k98 don't have this
    The 460 action is not a out of the box gun but is the best springer platform I know of

PS if it comes with a uk spring that's all you will need.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Picture it now, a full-on, red blooded Diana K98/Solingen equiped bayonet charge on the Quigley Bucket at the June Spring Bash !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Picture it now, a full-on, red blooded Diana K98/Solingen equiped bayonet charge on the Quigley Bucket at the June Spring Bash !
    At least that way I have a chance of hitting it!