Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diana/Mauser K98

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    they are interesting guns. I settled on a 15mm stroke reduction.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    they are interesting guns. I settled on a 15mm stroke reduction.
    I'm a little surprised that a short stroker would settle for 100 mm stroke lol only joking, but does it still have a very easy cocking effort.

Are these action still very high quality these days?

Being used to HW springers I did find it a bit taxing, cocking linkage with a tiny circlip, the spring and the hidden awkward Allen key on the eye. Dry dry inside for a new gun to.
    Spring was a little bent, guide very loose. I fitted a decent spring, guide and slip washer cleaned and lubed it.
    Thanks to you Nick I found the washer behind the breech seal which is now gone.
    The result, no twang, a little smoother and no loss of character!
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yes, it's more about keeping the cocking manageable than an absolutely optimal cycle. the spring loaded cocking linkage is a really nice design, very well made made. The ABT is a true ABT, unlike HW, but not pretty or ergonomic, and I had to bin it for the stroke reduction. It's a very well made gun.

Only thing I don't lieke is the short LOP, and the balance being so far forwards. I have a plan to address both.. a 20mm thick slab of metal, which will be formed into a butt extension to sit between the butt pad and the woodwork. A winter project as it's going to involve a lot of cutting and filling by hand, but I will make it a bit quicker by drilling loads of holes and joining the dots !

If you removed that washer, changed spring, or even just glance at the insides, make sure you chrono it, as it's a very efficient design.
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 23-09-2020 at 06:08 AM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    The ABT is a true ABT, unlike HW, but not pretty or ergonomic, and I had to bin it for the stroke reduction. It's a very well made gun.
    This is the reason we don't do extensions for the Dianas, they all shoot better with them, but that saw blade ABT invariably makes things difficult and removal is a step too far for a home-fit kit imo.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Yes I must chrono it but the spring I used needed virtually no effort to install by hand with no compressor

Nick if you read this do I buy a 77 kit (like you used) or the actual kit for the k98 you list?

Thanks all
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -

Quote Originally Posted by accused View Post
    Yes I must chrono it but the spring I used needed virtually no effort to install by hand with no compressor

Nick if you read this do I buy a 77 kit (like you used) or the actual kit for the k98 you list?

Thanks all
    This thread started before I had a specific one, so the Diana is the right one. Now that I do have one the standard fits the factory spring and the maxi includes a genuine export spring. These are very popular in Canada for some reason

Thanks Nick order placed

BTW I removed my ABT anyway probably wrongly based on habit with older 77s as they are just a pain. I instinctively hold the underlever anyway and that trap release makes you let go

Nick, just to say thanks again for incredibly fast delivery, K98 maxi kit is here and looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by accused View Post
    Nick, just to say thanks again for incredibly fast delivery, K98 maxi kit is here and looks great.
    Ring if you have any questions during fitting