Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diana/Mauser K98

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Seriously, I'd like to see it Nick, and I'm awaiting John's review of this air rifle in the coming weeks !

I hope its really nice, well built and performs well !
    “An airgun or two”………

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think you should get an optical set-up like this M2 carbine used by THRUSH -

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/The...ation.jpg.html

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Cheeky!

I'm thinking a 77 spring and guide kit to bring it up to power with maybe a 30mm short stroke extension!!

Whats the piston diameter in these?
    I believe they are all 28mm. The nose extension will be longer than the stroke of some of my guns
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I'm not familiar with the k98 but I know almost every component of the 460 action in detail and cant really find any faults except the plastic front sight unit and that can be moded to be satisfactory, but your k98 don't have this
    The 460 action is not a out of the box gun but is the best springer platform I know of

PS if it comes with a uk spring that's all you will need.
    Warning, warning: massive thread derailment.

Barry, I like Dianas as much as anyone else on this forum. Except maybe you. Which is why I currently own an LP5, LP5G, LP6G, LP6M, LG24 (masquerading as a Webley Airwolf), LG36, LG52 and an LG66. And an an LG50 that I have paid for but haven't picked up yet.

I'd like a 460. I was tempted to buy one from McAvoys on deep discount, but I'd like a .22" and they only have .177"s.

But the 460 is a 22 ft/lb rifle. Unless short-stroked or sleeved, it will surely not be at its best at half that power (my 52 isn't, but I tolerate it because I like the huge old cannon). And there are posts on US fora where one of the cocking lever pivot pins has broken under normal use. Maybe not an issue with a soft UK spring (and HWs have galling issues and for a while had awful springs). But a touch worrying.

I'm sure it's not a bad gun (though massively overpriced in the UK). But if someone forced me to own only one currently-manufactured underlever springer, then it would be an HW97 or a TX (neither of which I own, though I do have some 77s).

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think you should get an optical set-up like this M2 carbine used by THRUSH -

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/The...ation.jpg.html
    Cool, the T3/M3 carbine. An M2 select-fire carbine with a Gen1 IR night sight.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I'd like a 460. I was tempted to buy one from McAvoys on deep discount, but I'd like a .22" and they only have .177"s.

But the 460 is a 22 ft/lb rifle. Unless short-stroked or sleeved, it will surely not be at its best at half that power (my 52 isn't, but I tolerate it because I like the huge old cannon). And there are posts on US fora where one of the cocking lever pivot pins has broken under normal use. Maybe not an issue with a soft UK spring (and HWs have galling issues and for a while had awful springs). But a touch worrying.

After 7 years of owning a 460 and lots discussions on the DWC The link that you speak of breaking is very rare and only when the gun is fired with the underlever dropped and not in place some of the owners shoot with over 50 lb of cocking effort and even then I have only heard of two in 7 years and this is because the linkage is so strong and rigid and not bendable like the 52, something has to go with that sort of pressure BTW its the same type of hinge pin as the 52 you can see what I mean in this pic.
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...pspyhfs5bo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    After 7 years of owning a 460 and lots discussions on the DWC The link that you speak of breaking is very rare and only when the gun is fired with the underlever dropped and not in place some of the owners shoot with over 50 lb of cocking effort and even then I have only heard of two in 7 years and this is because the linkage is so strong and rigid and not bendable like the 52, something has to go with that sort of pressure BTW its the same type of hinge pin as the 52 you can see what I mean in this pic.
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...pspyhfs5bo.jpg
    Reassuring (and I'm a DWC chap too :-)).

I might get one, just for the heck of it. If only they weren't so stupidly expensive in the UK.

I keep hoping that if I keep pointing out on here how (apols for caps) STUPIDLY EXPENSIVE Dianas currently are in the UK that some web-droid from Diana will notice and sort out their stupidly expensive UK pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Seriously, I'd like to see it Nick, and I'm awaiting John's review of this air rifle in the coming weeks !

I hope its really nice, well built and performs well !
    Reading this thread just makes me want one all the more! I wonder if an original nosecap can be fitted in place of the dummy one. That way a K98 bayonet will fit for those Quigley bucket charges.

Still no news on the review rifle's arrival - Terry's been doing his best to source one.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

A cheaper option for the bayonet rather than a K98 original is the Yugoslavian M48 one. I picked up a tatty one at the last historic fair at Bsley for a fiver, less than I paid for my carving knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Reading this thread just makes me want one all the more! I wonder if an original nosecap can be fitted in place of the dummy one. That way a K98 bayonet will fit for those Quigley bucket charges.

Still no news on the review rifle's arrival - Terry's been doing his best to source one.

John
    Saw the reference in the AGW John !
    Bet you're "itching" to get going with it !?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Saw the reference in the AGW John !
    Bet you're "itching" to get going with it !?
    I am indeed. I have a converted Haenel 310, which resembles a K98 with its full stock but it would be good to have a full powered pellet firer to play with, I mean test! Actually that 310 is scheduled for a review in the not too distant future too. It is incredibly accurate at realistic distances of 15 yards or so, despite the 4.4 mm ball ammo.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It's here!

It arrived this morning and initial impressions are: very nicely made, very solid, good weight albeit front heavy and extremly good looking (imo)

Theres a strange greasy/oiliness to the visible part of the internals and it feels a little gritty and graunchy on cocking. I haven't fired it yet as I want to do that when I'm in a position to start work on it. The lathe is set up for a TX run atm so it will have to wait!

BTW, does anyone know how to fit the original (replica) sling?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps9ofxtxxh.jpg
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Looks good.
    I have taken the replica sling off my Airsoft Mauser to put it on to my 30M.
    I failed.
    I need to ask Baz who put it on the plastic rifle.

Your real life picture has tempted me to enquire at the local toy shop today

K98 Sling

The tricky bit is the rear fixing. The sling passes through the stock and attaches either directly into the stock stud or through a separate tab. It is easier to demonstrate than explain - maybe there is a you tube video out there?

John

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It's here!

It arrived this morning and initial impressions are: very nicely made, very solid, good weight albeit front heavy and extremly good looking (imo)

Theres a strange greasy/oiliness to the visible part of the internals and it feels a little gritty and graunchy on cocking. I haven't fired it yet as I want to do that when I'm in a position to start work on it. The lathe is set up for a TX run atm so it will have to wait!

BTW, does anyone know how to fit the original (replica) sling?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps9ofxtxxh.jpg
    Looks very nice !
    Awaiting your "performance report" and John's review !
    “An airgun or two”………