Thread: Cylinder pin fouling up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    Do this ^^ Works for me on a Pietta Remington .44 - although I use more than a little, enough to stop ingress. Copper grease is temperature resistant so won't run when it gets hot.

I've also found that using grease cookies between wad and ball softens the BP residue and reduces the fouling. I've never found mashing a load of lard over the front of the cylinder has reduced fouling - most of it isn't there after the first shot anyway. Most days I run out of range time before fouling becomes an issue - and using the cookies means the pistol is pretty much wipe clean afterwards. No scrubbing / hot water / dish washer required
    What are "grease cookies"?
    Enjoy every day, you never know when it will be your last!

Quote Originally Posted by Part451 View Post
    What are "grease cookies"?
    A mixture of 20% Bee's wax / 80% bacon lard melted in a pan, poured into a shallow tray to a depth of 2 or 3 mm, leave to set and then cut out with an old .44 Mag case for the Remmy or a .38 case for the .36 Colt. The Bee's wax stops the cookies melting in the summer.

I cut a load and put them in a small tin with some flour to stop them sticking together.
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!