Thread: Cleaning Dies

Cleaning Dies

Was thinking earlier, does anyone strip and clean their dies to remove potential build up's of wax, dirt etc? if so how do you clean, ultra sonic?
    If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have been bottle feed

Quote Originally Posted by s.stimson View Post
    Was thinking earlier, does anyone strip and clean their dies to remove potential build up's of wax, dirt etc? if so how do you clean, ultra sonic?
    Yes, I do occasionally. I use a cotton bud / q-tip with mentholated spirit and swab the inside of the dies. The lube of the brass soon re-lubricates the inside of the die body.

Yes I strip and clean occasionally. I use cotton buds and break cleaner spray

If you're using a tumble lube like alox etc, the bullet seating die gets filled up eventually. I had to keep adjusting the seating depth on my progressive press on my .38/357s for quite a while till I stripped it and found nearly half an inch of crud in there!
    Last edited by DesG; 14-04-2016 at 06:14 AM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Sounds like good idea just give it a wipe over after with the silicon cloth to stop it rusting

Yes , a cottonbud swab out with k9 from time to time , as the 44 seater does pick up bits of lead after a few hundred passes

Brake and Clutch cleaner is your friend,

TB

I mostly use meths and cotton swabs or pipe cleaners and clean before each use.

I also lube my dies before I put them to bed, especially ones that only get used occasionally like calibres for deer I may only load batch a year with.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Same here, occasional clean with either carb cleaner or brake and clutch cleaner

I'll clean mine occasionally with carb cleaner \ IPA - and that's not India Pale Ale either