Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are cheap pellets worth it ?

Are cheap pellets worth it ?

I know most experienced air gunners will know the answer to this, but hopefully this will highlight to those not so experienced who are considering cheap pellets if they are on a budget.

This was an adhoc video when for a giggle I put some cheapo pellets into a rifle I was reviewing and was quite shocked at the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATQFjRBdM3U

Hope this helps some people.
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

I normally wouldn't touch 'economy' brand pellets, JSB RS seem to give the best results in the springers that I've been shooting for the past few years. However, my .22 SMK19GR was proving to be a fussy feeder, giving only mediocre results with the 'top' brands. Recently, I was given a large stash of assorted pellets and amongst them was a tin of Marksman Pointed. Just for the Hell of it, I tried them in the SMK and was astonished to find them considerably more accurate than the RS. (Maybe it's something to do with Chinese barrels and cheap pellets, because the much despised Spitfire domes also gave a good account of themselves).

Also in among the haul, were some .177 'new' Wasps - another unpopular brand. I tried these in the 99s and while not quite as accurate as RS or (AA Express) at 30 yards, they really weren't that far behind - and their trajectory was nearly identical to the JSBs. In fact, I even dropped a pigeon with one, having forgotten that I still had Wasps - not RS - in my pocket...

Iv'e just bought some BSA Elites in .177 and .22, at £3.00 a tin .
    Only thing i have noticed is a lot of lead swarf in the tins so it might be worth washing them first.
    The .177 one's look a lot better made than the .22s as well.
    A lot of the rifles i have don't have superdooper accuracy and are used at short ranges, so they will probably be fine for them, but i will give them a go at longer ranges as well.

I fire spitfires all the time for plinking, but I'm mostly shooting under 10 yards. Wouldn't put them in my better rifles tho. Huge variation in sizes on the spitfires I've found.

I shoot £4 a tub Geco's in the Steyr and can't tell the difference from R10's

Im not surprised.
    Ive yet to find a pistol or rifle that makes the expense of R10s worth it.
    Gecos are often better.

Cheap

Cheap is OK for plinking on windy, rainy days. Saves wasting the good stuff.
    I started this life with nothing and I still have most of it left!

There will be many airguns out there that will shoot more accurately with cheaper rather than more expensive pellets so, as always, it's advisable to accuracy test with a wide variety of pellets.

The other reason for choosing cheaper pellets would be for pure plinking duties. If I only owned one rifle and was using it for a variety of different purposes, including fun plinking, I would, however, rather just stick to the pellet that I'd settled on for top accuracy, with the barrel being conditioned with them.

Anyone remember the Rod Linton pellet tests in the early days of AGW? I seem to remember that one of the most accurate rifle/pellet combinations was a Mercury being fed a diet of Marksman pellets.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Im not surprised.
    Ive yet to find a pistol or rifle that makes the expense of R10s worth it.
    Gecos are often better.
    I've seen so many people that are in the know say this. Must get some.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Anyone remember the Rod Linton pellet tests in the early days of AGW? I seem to remember that one of the most accurate rifle/pellet combinations was a Mercury being fed a diet of Marksman pellets.[/QUOTE]

I do, I think the Mercury/Marksmen combo gave the best group of all at 4.5mm at 10m.! Although I also remember reading that some of the "results" were obtained at considerably closer ranges!!!!

Steve-I understand your video is purely to demonstrate what we all learn in life: "Wise man cry once, foolish man save money but cry often", however, to batch test different pellets in any rife, you need to ensure you clean the bore properly and then re-lead in the barrel before you shoot groups-2-3 pull through's should get the barrel clean enough and 20-30 pellets of the brand to be tested should be sufficient to condition the barrel.

Well done on the video, you are obviously an enthusiast
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

any old cheapos will work.take them out of the tin and wash them in a strong washing up liquid mixture. rinse them and dry them. a hot air blower gets the job done quicker. wash the tin.
    then use a mixture of turtlewax. 1 part turtlewax to 5 parts water. tumble the pellets in that then dry them. hey preston, lubed pellets.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Cheap pellets are only good for them dirty springers.
    I wouldn't want to get my hands dirty when using my best pcp

Trumpetier you might need this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytZ_LFUg3M

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post

Trumpetier you might need this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytZ_LFUg3M

BBF
    Thanks Ray Hopefully start cracking on with it soon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post
    Cheap pellets are only good for them dirty springers, as those namby pamby PCPs can't handle a bit of rough!

BBF
    There, Ray, corrected it for you.