Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on Electronic powder dispensers?

Any advice on Electronic powder dispensers?

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a electronic powder dispenser, I'm reloading 223 and have seen some examples between 250 and 300 pounds. Anyone have experience with a particular brand that is accurate and high quality? regards

Thumbs up RCBS Chargemaster

The RCBS Chargemaster Combo any day of the week. I bought an adapter with a proper uk plug off the bay, even the Hornady Autocharger comes with the American 2 pin plug

Consider it as a lifetime purchase as you won't need to anything else ever again... Bought mine around 3-4 years ago, think they were around £330-£350 then. Given I sometime reload 100-200 at a time, it takes the hassle out of reloading and maintains accuracy and consistency.

Wouldn't be without mine.

I think it's just outside of your immediate budget, but worth spending a little extra on.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    The RCBS Chargemaster Combo any day of the week. I bought an adapter with a proper uk plug off the bay, even the Hornady Autocharger comes with the American 2 pin plug

Consider it as a lifetime purchase as you won't need to anything else ever again... Bought mine around 3-4 years ago, think they were around £330-£350 then. Given I sometime reload 100-200 at a time, it takes the hassle out of reloading and maintains accuracy and consistency.

Wouldn't be without mine.

I think it's just outside of your immediate budget, but worth spending a little extra on.
    hi is it consistant compared to the cheaper models, I'm looking for a precise machine, it stores loads too which is a big plus. I can buy it for 450

Plus one for the Chargemaster...I got mine from Natchez in the States. $280 this week.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Electric

The wife and I use a Lyman Gen 6, we load 2000 + a year in batches of 200, it is simple, quick, and problem free, using Vit N540 and N140, the load can be stored and repeatable.

We load 6mmBR used to shoot competitive ISSF 300 mt so we need perfect accuracy.

It claims accuracy to + or - 0.1 gn which it maintains, as we load to a high standard we check dump each load into a jewelers electonic scale and refine our loads to + or - 0.02 gn, the Gen 6 is nearly always within 0.1 gn, and very often spot on, or with in 0.02 gn.

We highly recomended it and its available from several suppliers in the UK.

Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

+1 for the RCBS
    very happy with its performance

As a back up I use a powder thrower/ trickled/ scales set up which is almost as quick

The only issue I have with the RCBS unit is if you want to change powder and you have a lot in the cylinder ,it's a bit of a pain to empty . A quick release close able cylinder like the Lee perfect measure would be an improvement

Regards
    James

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    The wife and I use a Lyman Gen 6, we load 2000 + a year in batches of 200, it is simple, quick, and problem free, using Vit N540 and N140, the load can be stored and repeatable.

We load 6mmBR used to shoot competitive ISSF 300 mt so we need perfect accuracy.

It claims accuracy to + or - 0.1 gn which it maintains, as we load to a high standard we check dump each load into a jewelers electonic scale and refine our loads to + or - 0.02 gn, the Gen 6 is nearly always within 0.1 gn, and very often spot on, or with in 0.02 gn.

We highly recomended it and its available from several suppliers in the UK.

Good shooting
    Robin
    Not a stupid question, but one I'm sure that others with less brazenness might ask. If you measure each load on a set of electronic scale in any case, why do you bother with the costy Lyman set-up? Instead of one electronic scales measuring, you now have two, something that would not be acceptable in any scientific laboratory unless BOTH measuring devices were to be identical.

tac

jalan01 Guest
    tried 'em all.. Best was the Gempro 250 by far.. outstanding accuracy.. mine accurately measure's an individual kernel of RL15!. Link shows US price but avail. from UK suppliers.
    As with any electronic scales -
    Check zero regularly,
    Operate from mains power rather than it's battery,
    Turn scales on about an hour before use,
    Only use in areas where temp. is stable and dry, not too cold or damp or where temp's vary a lot - like your average garage or shed!
    http://www.brownells.com/reloading/p...prod59271.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Not a stupid question, but one I'm sure that others with less brazenness might ask. If you measure each load on a set of electronic scale in any case, why do you bother with the costy Lyman set-up? Instead of one electronic scales measuring, you now have two, something that would not be acceptable in any scientific laboratory unless BOTH measuring devices were to be identical.

tac
    i use to check every 10th load with a digital scale when using the chargemaster....after awhile i never bothered as it was always spot on

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Targetmaster....... in connection with a decent quality beam scale it's easily the best system I've used... and it's made in the UK

Goggled....should give you all you need to know...
    https://www.google.co.uk/?client=saf...ster&gfe_rd=cr

Cheers

Fizz
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbangwhallop View Post
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Targetmaster....... in connection with a decent quality beam scale it's easily the best system I've used... and it's made in the UK

Goggled....should give you all you need to know...
    https://www.google.co.uk/?client=saf...ster&gfe_rd=cr

Cheers

Fizz
    This item is on my must-have list, after we come back from Oregon......

tac

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

tac
    The gen 6 trickles, 90% of the loads from the Gen pro are with in the 0.02gn of the scale so they are them straight in the case, its quick and simple, the other 10 % are adjusted so we have 100% of our loads to + or - 0.02 gn.

The fine electronic scale is too sensitive to trickle into, I've tried it, the trickle weight dropping gives wide variations, and its long winded, perhaps Ok to do a few for bench rest, but we load 200 at a time and its not practical, much simpler to trickle as accurately as we can with an electonic and fine tune with a few granules.

Its our choice to load that accurately, and I accept that perhaps not necessary, but we require top level results, and get them, I realise that for most shooters + or - 0.1gn is perfect and I explained what we do to demonstrate that the Gen 6 can be trusted to achieve that accurately and consistently.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by ^varmints^ View Post
    hi is it consistant compared to the cheaper models, I'm looking for a precise machine, it stores loads too which is a big plus. I can buy it for 450
    Sorry for the late reply. Very consistent, very quick.

Always remove the powder in whatever dispenser you use, whether a powder drop or electrical. My friend had the Hornady autochargecand left the powder in it which stained the tube?

With the Chargemaster and adapter I use, not that I'm saying the adapter has anything to do with it, but don't find I have to wait after turning it on to get consistency. Powder in, turn on, dispense. As above at one point I checked randomly when I first acquired it, but no more.

My Chargemaster has been brilliant from the day I bought it...