Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any advice on Electronic powder dispensers?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbangwhallop View Post
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Targetmaster....... in connection with a decent quality beam scale it's easily the best system I've used... and it's made in the UK

Goggled....should give you all you need to know...
    https://www.google.co.uk/?client=saf...ster&gfe_rd=cr

Cheers

Fizz
    I sold my RCBS and went over to 510 scales and a Targetmaster. IMHO a much better setup.

Mike
    If ignorance is bliss why isnt the world full of happy people ??

http://www.phoenixshooters.co.uk/

Chargemaster Combo vs Lyman Gen 6

I have been using a Chargemaster Combo for about four years. Six months ago it stopped working and to cut a long story short, I had bought a Lyman Gen 6 before I discovered that I was able to get the Chargemaster working again. So I have been using both, sometimes side by side to compare accuracy and speed. The Chargemaster takes longer to dispense, slows down the flow earlier, and can take forever (10 seconds or more) to deliver that last grain... The Lyman dispenses like a thing possessed... You are provided with a smaller diameter plug that you can use to reduce the flow rate. It also puts the brakes on much later, and I have found that as a result it over-dispenses (by a small margin) more frequently than the Chargemaster.

There is a considerable price difference between the two but I would select the Chargemaster any time. The Lyman is fine if you use it alongside a balance beam scale and check frequently.
    .22 Ruger 1022 / Optisan; .17 HMR Anschutz 1517 Thumbhole / Bushnell Elite Tactical; .243 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Leupold LR/T; .308 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Swarovski Z6i; 11 handguns from .22 free pistol to .44 mag S&W all long since gone to the great Home Office furnace in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubel View Post
    I have been using a Chargemaster Combo for about four years. Six months ago it stopped working and to cut a long story short, I had bought a Lyman Gen 6 before I discovered that I was able to get the Chargemaster working again. So I have been using both, sometimes side by side to compare accuracy and speed. The Chargemaster takes longer to dispense, slows down the flow earlier, and can take forever (10 seconds or more) to deliver that last grain... The Lyman dispenses like a thing possessed... You are provided with a smaller diameter plug that you can use to reduce the flow rate. It also puts the brakes on much later, and I have found that as a result it over-dispenses (by a small margin) more frequently than the Chargemaster.

There is a considerable price difference between the two but I would select the Chargemaster any time. The Lyman is fine if you use it alongside a balance beam scale and check frequently.
    It is very simple to speed up the Chargemaster. Just google & follow the instructions.
    I don't have the bullet in place before the next charge of 24gns is ready!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    It is very simple to speed up the Chargemaster. Just google & follow the instructions.
    Ooh thanks that had passed me by. Very helpful.
    .22 Ruger 1022 / Optisan; .17 HMR Anschutz 1517 Thumbhole / Bushnell Elite Tactical; .243 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Leupold LR/T; .308 Sako 85 Stainless Steel Synthetic / Swarovski Z6i; 11 handguns from .22 free pistol to .44 mag S&W all long since gone to the great Home Office furnace in the sky.

another + 1 for the RCBS
    Buggy2 (Nigel)

Thanks for the info guys, great to have your input when making decesions, it has been a close call between the rcbs and the lyman but I think I will go with the lyman 6 it will give me some extra cash for a rangefinder.

Eyefor is offline The Artist Formerly Known as Maple
    Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Agreed.

There are several tweaks for the RCBS chargemaster (finest £300 I ever spent) and the speed up is a great idea.

Another (also on Google / t'interweb) is to cut a short length of "fat" drinks straw (like a McDonalds one) and add this to the dispenser tube. Individual granule feeds are then a doddle.
    If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis

I use the Gen6. It does throw over by 0.1gn about every 10 to 15 throws.
    I don't worry about it.
    It will make less of a difference than using a decent bullet.
    I loaded some 260 Remington rounds which I chronoed.
    Powder was Elcho 17 and 5 rounds were 2932,2898,2930,2909,2914
    All V`s at 900.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    The RCBS Chargemaster Combo any day of the week. I bought an adapter with a proper uk plug off the bay, even the Hornady Autocharger comes with the American 2 pin plug

Consider it as a lifetime purchase as you won't need to anything else ever again... Bought mine around 3-4 years ago, think they were around £330-£350 then. Given I sometime reload 100-200 at a time, it takes the hassle out of reloading and maintains accuracy and consistency.

Wouldn't be without mine.

I think it's just outside of your immediate budget, but worth spending a little extra on.
    ^^^ this