Thread: Piston lube

Piston lube

What would you say is the required amount of grease to be smeared on the piston sides? enough but still transparent?

Thumbs up

You only need it where there's a bearing surface be it metal or delrin
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    You only need it where there's a bearing surface be it metal or delrin
    The piston in the 97 seems parallel sided though i have not measured it.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    The piston in the 97 seems parallel sided though i have not measured it.
    I think you,ll find the piston seal, at least, is a larger diameter.

No point putting grease where its not required. It just attracts grit etc and gets where its not wanted.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I think you,ll find the piston seal, at least, is a larger diameter.

No point putting grease where its not required. It just attracts grit etc and gets where its not wanted.
    As the gun is cocked and the piston slides back i dont see a way for the grease to be scraped off the walls of the comp tube, maybe wrong, this would mean the piston seal would scoop up the grease and deposit it in the comp chamber, im thinking along the lines of the oil rings in an engine that work to smear the oil round the cylinder but not let it into the comp chamber, scraper ring takes it off on the downward stroke.

On a 77/97, I would smear a very thin, hardly visible amount of moly grease around the edge of the piston seal. Take care not to get any at the front of the seal. Then a sparing amount on the rear third of the piston. A sparing amount on the outside of the comp tube. Then, with the comp tube and piston pushed fully forward, I use a swab on a dowel to apply the moly grease to the inside of the main action body, behind the comp tube / cylinder.....As recommended by Steve Pope in his instructions for fitting his kits. I've used this method for years now and thoroughly recommend.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!